EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Sep 2003, 03:33 AM   #16
ostkamp

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
For these reasons, this clause protects users from service degradation due to other abusive users, and protects our business from legal problems. It does however require some trust on your part that we don't be unreasonable
Thanks for the explanation so far.

Could you please comment on whether or not a banned user can expect a refund for his not-yet-used months he has already paid for?

I would also like to know whether the phrase

... In addition, because damages are often difficult to quantify, if actual damages cannot be reasonably calculated then you agree to pay the Service Provider liquidated damages of $5 for each piece of spam or unsolicited bulk email transmitted from or otherwise connected with your account, otherwise you agree to pay the Service Provider's actual damages, to the extent such actual damages can be reasonably calculated. ...

has ever been used and if yes, (roughly) to what extent. I believe, in todays world of Windows PCs it can happen to everyone that his/her PC gets infected by a worm or virus who may abuse his/her account here. I don't want to receive a multi million $ bill because of a breakdown of some foreign system.

Regards,

Guido
ostkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2003, 04:29 AM   #17
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Maximum attachment size

Quote:
Originally posted by ostkamp
That analogy doesn't work here. It simply takes longer to upload/downloads larger mails, as the capacity of the connection stays the same. fastmail will most definitely be able to handle a large number of connections at the same time, so I see no difference in transfer costs.
It takes longer to download large messages becaue of the speed of your computer's connection speed to the server. When the server receives the message, I am not so sure it can receive half of the message now and half of it a split second later and put it together.
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2003, 05:23 AM   #18
ostkamp

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Maximum attachment size

Quote:
Originally posted by FMRocks
It takes longer to download large messages becaue of the speed of your computer's connection speed to the server. When the server receives the message, I am not so sure it can receive half of the message now and half of it a split second later and put it together.
Rest assured, this is no problem. You never have a physical point-to-point connection like you had with an analogue telephone line. All data is split up into IP (internet protocol) packets, and below into packets depending on the underlying hardware, in local area networks for example these could be ethernet packets, for example. All of the stuff is assembled again later. This is controlled by TCP protocol (transmission control protocol). Neither the client nor the server does see much of the split up.

Regards,

Guido
ostkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2003, 09:42 AM   #19
drkotsius

Quote:
Originally posted by davidbstanley
A few years ago 5MB was a reasonable limit. 5MB would not be acceptable to most now and I think the time has come to review the 10MB limit. Maybe 20MB would be better.
Ditto. 20MB can hardly be considered excessive nowadays... I have never sent or received an attachment anywhere near that size, but why have to worry about what size attachment someone may decide to send?
drkotsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2003, 10:52 AM   #20
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Maximum attachment size

Quote:
Originally posted by ostkamp
Rest assured, this is no problem. You never have a physical point-to-point connection like you had with an analogue telephone line. All data is split up into IP (internet protocol) packets, and below into packets depending on the underlying hardware, in local area networks for example these could be ethernet packets, for example. All of the stuff is assembled again later. This is controlled by TCP protocol (transmission control protocol). Neither the client nor the server does see much of the split up.

Regards,

Guido
I see. Thanks for the info. It is much appreciated. With that at hand, I would suggest that too many emails coming in with too large attachments will inevitably slow the server down in terms of receiving email. This is Fastmail, after all.

(Frankly, I don't see a reason why the big files cannot be loaded to a web account like Yahoo briefcase and then sent a link to. I personally get very annoyed when people send me large attachments.)
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2003, 06:47 PM   #21
bitequator
The "e" in e-mail

Let's see if I can recall the Internet stack/protocol layers:

- application (ex. SMTP messages)
(sockets)
- transport (ex. TCP segments)
- network (ex. IP datagrams)
- link (ex. Ethernet frames)
- physical

Someone correct me if I'm wrong
bitequator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2003, 07:51 AM   #22
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by bitequator
Someone correct me if I'm wrong
All are correct, and there are two more layers in the OSI Reference Model!
But then in the real world the layers are quite mixed together!

Last edited by hadaso : 28 Sep 2003 at 07:55 AM.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2003, 10:04 AM   #23
bitequator
The "e" in e-mail

Ack, haven't had to think about OSI since back in day (re: the Novell era)
Old 30 Sep 2003, 04:33 AM   #24
Rolf

Different attachment size

How about making the size limit of an attachment and the size limit of recieved messages bigger as the member status goes higher?

Geust -> 5 mb
Member -> 10 mb
Full -> 15 mb
Ench. -> 25 mb

Examples only, but something like that, like the idea with server space and bandwidth.

I have no idea how easy it would be to implement, but I would like to be able to send and recieve bigger messages as an ench. member.
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2003, 04:38 AM   #25
davidbstanley
Cornerstone of the Community

Re: Different attachment size

Quote:
Originally posted by Rolf
How about making the size limit of an attachment and the size limit of recieved messages bigger as the member status goes higher?

Geust -> 5 mb
Member -> 10 mb
Full -> 15 mb
Ench. -> 25 mb

Examples only, but something like that, like the idea with server space and bandwidth.

I have no idea how easy it would be to implement, but I would like to be able to send and recieve bigger messages as an ench. member.
Not very easy I suspect. As Jeremy said earlier, the message size check is done well before the recipient is known.
davidbstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2004, 04:17 AM   #26
davidbstanley

Reviving this old thread - I have a freind that uses AOL that is having problems sending a large email to me. he is getting bounce messages. I have vey little info about the exact bounce message other than it is from FM. I cannot think of anything other than email size that would cause this sine he sends other messages to me frequently. So two questions: 1. Does anyone know the message size limit at AOL? 2. Are there any plans to increase the limit at the FM end?
Old 5 Apr 2004, 05:07 AM   #27
bitequator
The "e" in e-mail

Maybe your friend can forward the bounce message to you?

Is the file bigger than about 7.5MB (about 10MB base64 encoded which is FM's size limit)? Sorry I don't know what AOL's size limit is, but I would really think it's not any bigger than FM (most likely smaller I would assume)?

If the problem is at FM, if you have an account at another email provider with larger size limit, you can use that account to receive the large email than have your FM account pop it, since POP-Links don't have same size limitation...

Might be preferrable to just use an email attachment service such as:
www.yousendit.com (1GB file size, no registration)
www.dropload.com (50MB file size)

As seen from: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...threadid=20583
Old 5 Apr 2004, 05:52 AM   #28
LrdVader
The "e" in e-mail

I believe AOL's size limit for messages to and from the internet is 2 mb. I don't have an AOL account handy, though, so I can't test it.
LrdVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2004, 03:48 PM   #29
davidbstanley

The email was received by my freind in his AOL account. The situation is made more difficult because he cannot download it over his dial up connection because it is too big! He has tried twice but the connection drops. I will try to get him to send the error message to me.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 11:27 PM   #30
alka
Essential Contributor

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but if uploading was alowed to a password protected file storage area, then i think a lot less people would have issues recieving large files.

It's funny, ever since i joined, my attachment limit has been set to 20megs. pointless.
alka is offline   Reply With Quote