EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 9 Jan 2005, 06:06 PM   #1
FromNL

Secure access to FTP server

Hi,

I know that SSL isn't announced officially yet, so maybe I should wait for the details etc. ..... but can someone tell me if it's possible to access the FTP server over a secure connection (f.e. SSL)?.

I think it's useless to have a secure access to the mail server if you have to use an insecure connection for the FTP server. If a secure connection to the FTP server will not be possible then maybe a solution would be if I could use an other username/password combination strictly for the FTP server.

And of course I hope that the backup procedure of Runbox will also cover the FTP files soon; only then my files will be 99,9% safe.

Thanks.
FromNL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Jan 2005, 11:42 PM   #2
BKB
Cornerstone of the Community

Re: Secure access to FTP server

Quote:
Originally posted by FromNL
Hi,

I know that SSL isn't announced officially yet, so maybe I should wait for the details etc. ..... but can someone tell me if it's possible to access the FTP server over a secure connection (f.e. SSL)?.

I think it's useless to have a secure access to the mail server if you have to use an insecure connection for the FTP server. If a secure connection to the FTP server will not be possible then maybe a solution would be if I could use an other username/password combination strictly for the FTP server.

Took the words right out of my mouth. In the absense of a bookmark manager I've started using Bookmark Synchronizer for FireFox. It automatically syncs my bookmarks via FTP everytime I open my browser - very slick. However, this means sending my Runbox username/password over the network (sometimes public, wireless networks), in plain-text, which I'm not happy about. I was thinking about using my Fasmail Member account for this purpose, but Fastmail doesn't support FTP access or WebDAV (planned). So secure FTP access, or a Files specific username/password would be very useful.

Thanks.
BKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2005, 05:39 PM   #3
edafe

Would it not be relatively straightforward to run an SSH server to give us a secure means of accessing our files?

Regards,
Edafe
edafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2005, 07:46 PM   #4
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
When you log in to the webmail using SSL, the whole session is encrypted, including files. The original poster was talking about FTP I believe, which is indeed not encrypted (apparently, it's a rather gnarly protocol in that regard).

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2005, 02:03 AM   #5
edafe

Liz,

What is needed is a secure way to access files that does not depend on a web browser.
SSH provides just that.

Regards,
Edafe

P.S: SSH does not rely on SSL.

Last edited by edafe : 29 Jan 2005 at 02:11 AM.
edafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2005, 05:56 PM   #6
jongrove

Question

Any news regarding S-FTP or SSH access to filestorage on runbox? I'm a potential new user, but I'm not happy about the in-secure way of accessing files on the ftp.

Kind regards Jon Hermansen, Denmark

Last edited by jongrove : 22 Mar 2005 at 10:13 PM.
jongrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2005, 08:52 PM   #7
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I think Secure FTP and SSH is not something that Runbox plans on adding any time soon, if at all. So don't use that as a basis for making your decisions. You should never make a choice based on "future features" anyways. If Runbox doesn't meet your needs "as is" then you should look at other services.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2006, 09:15 PM   #8
Zedd

Implementing SSL on the FTP server should be very very simple to do.

I don't understand why Runbox does not have this, I don't like having to send my documents in plain text at all when I use bakup and sync programs that access over FTP.

Fortunally my program can encrypt the files itself before sending but then I can't access my files without the same program on the computer, so if I would need to access my documents from say a internet cafe I am screwed...
Zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2006, 01:57 PM   #9
Shelded

Do internet-cafe computers allow you to download and execute applications? If so, a self-extracting ZIP application could be the way to get something to yourself if you stored the EXE on your file storage. Just an idea.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2006, 10:41 PM   #10
Zedd

Obviously I would not have install previleges on the computer in question... most internet-cafés dont have this.
Zedd is offline   Reply With Quote