EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 18 May 2004, 07:51 AM   #1
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Question Changing Virtual Domain Nameservers from Zoneedit to Messaging Engine?

Based on the information discussed in Getting started with 1) Virtual Domain and 2) File Storage Web site, I'm considering changing my nameserver from Zoneedit to MessagingEngine.

Currently, my registrar, has the nameservers set to:

ns8.zoneedit.com
ns9.zoneedit.com

It has the MX Mail records set to the appropriate fastmail email properties and the URL forwarding set up separately.

Now, because of my current setup, I want the transition to go smoothly without any glithches or bounced emails.

My virtual domain is already set up with aliases and target email addresses.

The file storage feature is listing my virtual domain, but the URL's are not working because Zoneedit it pointing them elsewhere.

Question

Will simply changing the Nameservers at my registrar from

ns8.zoneedit.com
ns9.zoneedit.com

to

ns1.messagingengine.com
ns2.messagingengine.com

Will this take care of everything?

No need to change anything on my FM settings? Correct?

Once this propogates around all servers around the world, in about 48 hours, all should be smooth.

Is it possible there might be bounced emails during some of the handoffs? It's possible for some servers in the world to be connected to my old zoneedit and others to the new messagingengine.

Should I be concerned about any email interuptions duing this process?

Question 2

I assume that just changing the nameservers to messagingengine will activate file storage for my virtual domain. Correct?

Question 3

Next, about the URL forwarding, if I set up the alias "www" or [email protected] , will www.virtualdomain.com be a valid web page? Or do I have to set up catchall?
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 May 2004, 10:16 AM   #2
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Changing your nameservers should be just fine - no mail should be lost, as long as you don't remove your ZoneEdit settings for a few days.

You need to activate your public file storage by following these steps: http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/faqparts...DomainOverview

You don't need a 'www' alias - I believe that 'www.domain.tld' is automatically enabled when 'domain.tld' is enabled.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2004, 01:52 PM   #3
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
You need to activate your public file storage by following these steps: http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/faqparts...DomainOverview
This is the part that confuses me:
Quote:
How can I make my files available using my own domain?
You need to have at least one alias in your own domain that is targetting your account, and you will need to have the appropriate DNS records pointing to FastMail.FM servers. You need either an A record pointing to 66.111.4.61, or a CNAME record pointing to web.messagingengine.com.

Note: It can be tricky to set up CNAME records properly. It is probably preferable to use A records, unless you thoroughly understand DNS, and know what you're doing.
I thought this applied to using a nameserver other than messagingengine.com , but it appears I was wrong.

So, setting up the nameservers to

ns1.messagingengine.com
ns2.messagingengine.com

will only take care of the email portion.

Are you saying that I will have to have my registrar set up the DNS records pointing to FM via an A record or CNAME? I thought that only applied to if it was zoneedit or something.

Okay, I'm about to go on vacation for 3-1/2 weeks, so I'll get to this when I return mid-June. By then, I'll probably revive this thread and try to find out exactly how to do this via namecheap.com
Old 18 May 2004, 07:18 PM   #4
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by FromLine
Are you saying that I will have to have my registrar set up the DNS records pointing to FM via an A record or CNAME? I thought that only applied to if it was zoneedit or something.
The docs fail to mention the important fact that, if you use our nameservers, we'll set up the A records for you. So you don't have to worry about this.

I'll ask Richard to update the docs.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2004, 07:49 PM   #5
Gankaku

FromLine, I'm using Namecheap also, and am using FM's nameservers. If you want when you get back, email me and we can get on IM and run through it together to make sure you have it all set up ok. When I set up mine, like Jeremy said, I didn't lose any mail...
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2004, 03:10 PM   #6
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Lisa, Thanks! It all seems pretty simple. It seems all I have to do is change the nameservers at namecheap to

ns1.messagingengine.com
ns2.messagingengine.com

and everything else will take care of itself.

(unless I'm still confused)

1) Email settings won't have to change at FM
2) Aliases are already set
3) File Storage Virtual Domain URL's in file storage will take care of themselves
Old 19 May 2004, 03:39 PM   #7
Daniel S

If you use FM's nameservers, FM takes care of the A/CNAME/MX records, so you can use your domain for email (if you added it on the Aliases/Domains screen) and File Storage (if it is Web-enabled).

You will not need to manually set any DNS records on FM's nameservers, unless you want to host your domain Website/mail elsewhere.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 09:56 PM   #8
squabsy

sorry for bouncing this old thread but its closest to what I'm trying to do.
However when I try and switch nameservers with my provider I am asked for the IP addresses for the two fastmail nameservers i.e. ns1.messagingengine.com & ns2.messagingengine.com.
What are the IP addresses please ?
squabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2006, 10:05 PM   #9
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Might not be new news, but I noticed that Godaddy now allows you to manage MX records of your domains (assuming you still direct to their nameservers). I know they never used to, but not certain as to when this ability became available.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2006, 11:07 PM   #10
Anon48

Greetings all,

Might be a silly question, but what steps need to be taken to change the nameservers at NameCheap? Is it through the "Nameserver Registration" screen?

Just FYI, I also (like FromLine) have my mail and website hosted at FastMail.

Thanks!

Anon48
Anon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2006, 05:02 PM   #11
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Don't set IP addresses. You should never need to do that. If you DNS providers only supports IP addresses, definitely change to a different one (eg zoneedit, etc).

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2006, 04:20 AM   #12
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

If you already have reasonably good DNS I don't think it's very sensible to move it to Fastmail, unless you are certain you won't want anything more. For example at Namecheap you can acheive the same effect by setting MX records, and adding a CNAME entry for "*" that points to username.fastmail-domain. This leaves you free to add other records, such as a frame redirect to ISP webspace or a dynamic-dns A-record for your PC.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2006, 09:14 AM   #13
Aimlink
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by robmueller
Don't set IP addresses. You should never need to do that. If you DNS providers only supports IP addresses, definitely change to a different one (eg zoneedit, etc).

Rob
Agreed. One should use only domain addresses rather than IP addresses, since IP addresses are subject to change while domain addresses will remain the same and will be simply updated to point to new IP's as they are changed.

I can vouch for ZoneEdit. It's great. Highly reliable!
Aimlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2006, 03:02 AM   #14
Anon48

As you said Rob, IP addresses should not be used, but that was my initial setup which I read on these forums (A: 66.111.4.61, MX: ns1/2.smtp.messagingengine.com). When the IP changed recently, the domain hosted on FM through FileStorage, obviously, ceased to work.

Don't know why I took the hard route to set up my virtual domain DNS records through separate A/MX configurations since everything is already hosted through FM, but I am glad to state that simply setting the domain name servers to FastMail's solved the problem permanently (the link through NameCheap was there all along).

Thanks to all for the help,

Anon48
Anon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2006, 05:34 AM   #15
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

As I said you could have just set a CNAME record.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote