EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 4 Mar 2004, 08:20 AM   #1
alexu2000
Cornerstone of the Community

Is godaddy down?

I cannot load GoDaddy's homepage. It seems that also their domain services are down. Is anybody here who has the same problems?
alexu2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 Mar 2004, 08:28 AM   #2
JeffK

Coincidentally I accessed them OK about 20 minutes ago, FWIW.

Jeff
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2004, 09:03 PM   #3
alexu2000

I live in Romania.

I tryed since yesterday to access www.godaddy.com or my domain wich I have registered at godaddy.com and wich use godaddy's redirection service, but I always receive a DNS error just like my domain and godaddy's domains does not exist.

I tryed to load their homepage from different places: from work, from home, from a friend's home, from an internet cafe, trying different Internet providers and the result is the same: www.godaddy.com is not loading, the same DNS error is showed.

I contacted friends from other towns from Romania. The same problem accessing godaddy's site.

I tryed to do a traceroute to www.godaddy.com and to my domain. Both resolves their IPs but the traceroute never get to their servers.

I tryed to access their site and my domains trough a free proxy (surfola.com) wich is located outside Romania and their page loaded without any problem.

It could be a problem affecting only ISPs from Romania? What can I do in this situation?

Note: Regarding my domain, I have several subdomains. Some of them use godaddy's redirection service (points to godaddy's server IP) and the others points directly to the IP of my own server. Those who use godaddy's redirection service doesn't work. Those who points directly to my IP work without any problems.

Last edited by alexu2000 : 4 Mar 2004 at 09:27 PM.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 09:50 PM   #4
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
They are probably having some downtime. Something normal. If the downtime is too long like 2-3 days then there might be a problem.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2004, 10:58 PM   #5
Werpon

Godaddy have banned entire countries before, so you should check it, as they're up for me.
Werpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2004, 11:01 PM   #6
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally posted by Werpon
Godaddy have banned entire countries before, so you should check it, as they're up for me.
Isn't that a bit too much?
Old 4 Mar 2004, 11:09 PM   #7
alexu2000

How come this could be possible? I payed for their service...

Is there any site where I can find wich countries are banned by godaddy?

How can I contact godaddy if I am unable to reach their site?

Last edited by alexu2000 : 5 Mar 2004 at 12:07 AM.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 05:33 AM   #8
Werpon

You may want to read this forum, although you probably are the thread starter (I guess).

If Godaddy has banned your country, you can use another service, such as Namecheap (eNom reseller), or ev1servers.net (OpenSRS reseller).

Good luck...
Old 5 Mar 2004, 07:30 AM   #9
alexu2000

Yeap, I started that thread there too. The questions still remains:

1. who can guarantee when I will move to another registrar that this registrar will not ban Romania in the future?

2. what can I do to make GoDaddy to respect the agreement that we had? (I payed money, they are supposed to offer services in return).
Old 5 Mar 2004, 08:04 AM   #10
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally posted by alexu2000

1. who can guarantee when I will move to another registrar that this registrar will not ban Romania in the future?

2. what can I do to make GoDaddy to respect the agreement that we had? (I payed money, they are supposed to offer services in return).

1. There is no guarantee. You just have to email them. Keep their email as a "proof". If such a time comes at least you have something to "fight" for.

2. GoDaddy is still offering the service, minus the Romania region....
Old 5 Mar 2004, 08:38 AM   #11
alexu2000

Quote:
Originally posted by Killer

2. GoDaddy is still offering the service, minus the Romania region....
minus me. So they broke the agreement between me and them.

Update: Mozilla reportts: "Operation timed out" or "Connection refused" when I try to access their website.

Why did they had to cut all access, I think it was more resonable if they just stopped registration from romanian ip's. Or maybe they think that ALL romanians are fraudulent, included myself.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 11:10 AM   #12
Hektor

Representative of:
HugeMail.com
Re: Is godaddy down?

Quote:
I cannot load GoDaddy's homepage. It seems that also their domain services are down. Is anybody here who has the same problems?
One way to check whether a site is down or the problem is with the user's service is to go to http://www.samspade.org and enter the site in the "browse" box. If the site is not accessible then samspade will say so.

Regards,

Hektor
Hektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Mar 2004, 07:33 PM   #13
Werpon

Quote:

You can register with a Romanian reseller, but probably, either they are more expensive or they are pretty unreliable, as it happens the same here.

The good thing with domain names is that as long as you keep your admin email updated, you can transfer your domain to another registrar that is interested in doing business with you.

My advice would be to transfer your domain to a reliable registrar such as 000domains.com, DirectNIC.com, EV1Servers.net or NameCheap.com, and stop worrying about them banning you, as It's not like if you were losing your domain name forever.

Quote:
You're right, technically this is a breach of contract, but they are sure you won't sue them. What can you do? Sue them... Sorry, there isn't any other way I can think of.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 08:27 PM   #14
alexu2000

This is the response from their support:

Dear Alex,

Thank you for contacting Customer Support.

We are unable to process transactions originating from the following countries:

Bulgaria
China (incl. Hong Kong)
Indonesia
Malaysia
Nigeria
Pakistan
Philippines
Romania
Singapore
Vietnam

Also, the US Government asks that we do not conduct business with these nations:

Cuba
Iran
Iraq
Libya
North Korea
Sudan
Syria

If your credit card is from one of these countries, or if you reside in any of these countries, you will not be able to view or complete a purchase from our website. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Please let us know if we can help you in any other way. You may also wish to read through some of the frequently asked questions on our Support Forum: supportwebsite.com

Got a web site? Get Traffic with Traffic Blazer. Save $10!

Sincerely,
Ismael R.

GoDaddy.com
Customer Service Representative

And this is my reply:

Hello

I think you don't understand the situation:

1. I already purchsed a domain with you (december 2003)

2. I already paid for it, you already processed my transaction, you charged me (in december 2003 - for a full year) and for the money I gave you I expect you to offer the services I paid for!

and now, YOU CUT MY ACCESS and YOU DON'T LET ME USE MY DOMAIN just because I am from Romania!!! You should give my money back because I paid in advance for your services that you fail to offer! When I paid for the domain you didn't told me that I will loose the access to my account and that I will loose my domain!

Please give me a sollution either to continue using the services that I paid for or you should move my domain and pay for a full year of my domain registration to acompany who does not charge customers and then dissapear from the internet with their money just because they are living in Romania!

--------------------------------

It might be a good ideea to sue GoDaddy. I have relatives in United States and England and I will talk to them to see how can they help me.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 08:32 PM   #15
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
I can't believe they "blacklist" singapore too!!