EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Nov 2020, 11:23 PM   #1
pomj

Std vs beta

I wonder if it is specified anywhere what is different on the beta site compared to the std site?

Fx I noticed that the notes section of the beta site had some problems with the swedish characters åäöÅÄÖ.
pomj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Nov 2020, 05:37 PM   #2
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Easy enough to pop over to non-beta to check that for yourself. Often issues with notes are based on how the browser (or notes client) is interpreting the content as they're created.

If in doubt, open a support ticket so we can look at your specific issue!
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2020, 05:37 PM   #3
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
(don't believe there's anything on beta right now that would affect this specific thing)
Old 21 Nov 2020, 08:43 AM   #4
pomj

Ok thank's for your answer.
Just wondered if there were a release note or anything

regarding the notes
I use safari 14 on Big Sur. I had std in one tab and beta in another tab. same account.

beta tab displays:
=?utf-8?Q?TR=C3=84NING=20-=205-2=20dieten?=

std tab displays the correct:
TRÄNING - 5-2 dieten

that's why I wondered
Old 21 Nov 2020, 09:53 PM   #5
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomj View Post
Ok thank's for your answer.
Just wondered if there were a release note or anything

regarding the notes
I use safari 14 on Big Sur. I had std in one tab and beta in another tab. same account.

beta tab displays:
=?utf-8?Q?TR=C3=84NING=20-=205-2=20dieten?=

std tab displays the correct:
TRÄNING - 5-2 dieten

that's why I wondered
Hey, maybe you've found a legit bug before it went out of beta! If so, congrats. I'll pass this on to the team.
Old 22 Nov 2020, 09:53 AM   #6
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
I did pass the note on to the team, however I wasn't able to recreate this myself by creating a note on www with Swedish (ok, Norwegian, since I have Norwegian keymap configured) characters in the title and content and then viewing it on beta.

So - please do create a ticket, because that will allow our staff to see if there's something specific to your notes which are different from what I was creating.
Old 22 Nov 2020, 12:42 PM   #7
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

I was able to recreate the problem in beta using the string "TRÄNING - 5-2 dieten" illustrated in the earlier post.

In beta I created a new note with the title "TRÄNING - 5-2 dieten". After saving it I refreshed the tab. The title now became the UTF8 version.

Another way that reproduced it was to again create the note with the title "TRÄNING - 5-2 dieten" (still in beta) and then in another tab open the release version of FM. Switch back to the beta notes tab you again the note's title is switched to the UTF8 version.

Not sure about why the refresh test causes it to happen but there does appear to be some "friction" with running both beta and release at the same time that makes the problem show up in the beta notes. Of course running two variants of the FM UI could I think be a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. But even so I don't know why it has that effect on the Notes title. Maybe it's simply a case that when beta notes thinks it needs to update the note it causes it to redraw the title with the UTF8 version. Maybe screwing around with Notes in the release version concurrently is sufficient to trigger that beta redraw.

By the way, the body of the note is not changed, only the title. I again used the same text (TRÄNING - 5-2 dieten) and I could never get it to display as the UTF8 version.

Last edited by xyzzy : 22 Nov 2020 at 12:47 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2020, 11:35 PM   #8
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
In beta I created a new note with the title "TRÄNING - 5-2 dieten". After saving it I refreshed the tab. The title now became the UTF8 version.
FWIW "TRÄNING ..." is the UTF-8 version, and "=?utf-8?Q?TR=C3=84NING..." is MIME encoded.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2020, 05:06 AM   #9
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
FWIW "TRÄNING ..." is the UTF-8 version, and "=?utf-8?Q?TR=C3=84NING..." is MIME encoded.
I was only trying to indicate the appearance of the string in the window.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2020, 06:28 PM   #10
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Yep, a couple of us independently tracked this down. Fix should be deployed in the next day or two. It was indeed a change deep in a module on beta which affected header parsing, and happened to show up in Notes because they're an email under the hood!

Thanks for the report
Old 25 Nov 2020, 07:03 AM   #11
pomj

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
Yep, a couple of us independently tracked this down. Fix should be deployed in the next day or two.
Great support guys. Thanks!