EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Nov 2017, 12:50 AM   #1
snowfun87

How to Setup 2 Factor Authentication

I use FastMail, and I've set up 2 Factor authentication. I can't seem to find the location in Thunderbird to indicate I'm now using 2-Factor auth, so it will prompt me to enter the authentication code that is generated on my smart phone in the Authentication app.
snowfun87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Nov 2017, 02:17 AM   #2
FredOnline
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfun87 View Post
I use FastMail, and I've set up 2 Factor authentication. I can't seem to find the location in Thunderbird to indicate I'm now using 2-Factor auth, so it will prompt me to enter the authentication code that is generated on my smart phone in the Authentication app.
You will need to create an app specific password for Thunderbird, full documentation available online on Fastmail website:

https://www.fastmail.com/help/clients/apppassword.html
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2017, 10:27 AM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

As with most services, FastMail supports 2-factor authentication only for authentication through the browser. IMAP, POP3 and SMTP do not provide features facilitating 2-factor authentication.To ameliorate the somewhat weaker security implied by password only authentication, FastMail requires you to use app/device passwords. It is recommended that a different one be used for each separate application and/or device you use to authenticate with FastMail. This allows you to rapidly block a specific app/device by removing its password, without affecting other uses of the service.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote