EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Dec 2015, 01:36 PM   #1
JMac
Essential Contributor

Unhappy Still No Way to Copy a Message into Another Folder?

I am using the Fastmail web interface with the Standard theme. Way back when we had a toggle at the bottom of the folder tree where you could select Copy or Move. That was lost when the new interface was implemented. IIRC, there was still hope - faint though it was - that the ability to copy messages would be restored at some point.

Well it is a few years later and I still don’t see any way to copy messages to folders. Has no one developed a hack or tweak, via CSS or otherwise, to allow copying of messages once again?

C'mon guys - the code monkeys are disappointing me!

Thanks!

Jim
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Dec 2015, 05:14 PM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I do not think it is coming to the current interface. If you want to copy more than a handful of messages, use the old classic interface (https://classic.fastmail.com). in a new browser tab.

If you just want to copy one or two messages, here is a sick hack:
  • Open the message you want to copy
  • In he More menu, choose Redirect copy and the email address <your-user>+<folder>@<fastmail.tld>
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2015, 02:58 PM   #3
aussieboykie
Essential Contributor

I am another user who misses the simplicity of the COPY option on the classic interface. My solution is to use advanced rules to create copies of incoming messages. For example:

header :contains "x-spam-known-sender" "yes" {fileinto :copy "INBOX"; fileinto "INBOX.archive";} elsif false
not header :contains "x-spam-known-sender" "yes" {fileinto :copy "INBOX.unknown"; fileinto "INBOX.maybearchive";} elsif false

Messages from known senders are automatically stored in both INBOX and INBOX.archive. This works well when an account is shared across multiple users and/or devices. In this scenario INBOX can be treated as temporary. The second rule deals with messages from unknown users. If such a message turns out to be bona-fide then the new interface can be used to move from INBOX.unknown to INBOX and from INBOX.maybearchive to INBOX.archive.

Regards, AB
aussieboykie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2017, 11:02 AM   #4
aussieboykie
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
I do not think it is coming to the current interface. If you want to copy more than a handful of messages, use the old classic interface (https://classic.fastmail.com). in a new browser tab.

If you just want to copy one or two messages, here is a sick hack:
  • Open the message you want to copy
  • In he More menu, choose Redirect copy and the email address <your-user>+<folder>@<fastmail.tld>
I wanted to copy an email today and unearthed this old thread which I see I participated in back then. BritTim's suggestion still works but for anyone else who wants to do this the choice from the More dropdown is now Send a Copy... rather than Redirect.

The timestamp on the copy is set to the time the copy was performed, not the original timestamp. Is there any way of making a true copy that is identical in all respects?

Regards, AB
Old 27 Oct 2017, 12:37 PM   #5
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieboykie View Post
I wanted to copy an email today and unearthed this old thread which I see I participated in back then. BritTim's suggestion still works but for anyone else who wants to do this the choice from the More dropdown is now Send a Copy... rather than Redirect.

The timestamp on the copy is set to the time the copy was performed, not the original timestamp. Is there any way of making a true copy that is identical in all respects?

Regards, AB
The best way now is to use 'Forward as attachment', then when the forwarded email arrives, use 'extract attachment into folder' (I may have forgotten the exact text here). Note that you can send multiple messages at a time from the message list screen (works best with conversations turned off).
Old 27 Oct 2017, 01:58 PM   #6
aussieboykie
Essential Contributor

Sounds promising but I don't see any 'extract attachment into folder' (or similar) option in the More dropdown.

Regards, AB
Old 27 Oct 2017, 02:28 PM   #7
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieboykie View Post
Sounds promising but I don't see any 'extract attachment into folder' (or similar) option in the More dropdown.

Regards, AB
You need to select the attachments you wish to extract before the option will appear. Yes, this is not very discoverable behavior. You need to know about it.
Old 27 Oct 2017, 02:51 PM   #8
aussieboykie
Essential Contributor

Hmm. I forwarded a test email as an attachment. Now I have an email with an xxx.eml attachment which I select. The More dropdown options are: Reply, Reply to All, Forward, Forward as Attachment, Add Rule from Message..., Edit as New, Send a Copy..., Print, Show Raw Message, Report Phishing, Show details. Nothing about extracting into a folder.

Regards, AB
Old 27 Oct 2017, 06:24 PM   #9
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

That is most odd. In the past, when you selected the attachment, the options that appeared above the attachment included a 'Detach message copies into folder" option. I just tested it, and it is gone. Sorry not to be aware that it has been removed.

There is another way of copying messages between folders on a computer with a mouse. Make sure the folder you want to copy messages into is visible in the left pane. Then, hold down the Alt key while dragging the message over to the folder to receive the copy. For someone like me, this is error prone, and I far preferred the methods that were available in the past.

Once again, sorry for the previous misinformation.
Old 28 Oct 2017, 07:59 AM   #10
aussieboykie
Essential Contributor

You have been very helpful BritTim. Your tip about dragging with Alt works perfectly and this method retains the original timestamp which is important to me. Thanks a lot.

Regards, AB
Old 19 Sep 2019, 10:04 PM   #11
Bagnet

I just found out, and it was an unpleasant surprise that there's no "copy" option with Fastmail.
The roundabout I found was to use Thunderbird. If you copy an email in Tbird the action will be reproduced on the server and thus on the web interface.
Hope this helps someone.
Bagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2019, 08:49 AM   #12
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow How to copy a message with the Fastmail interface (two methods)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagnet View Post
I just found out, and it was an unpleasant surprise that there's no "copy" option with Fastmail.
The roundabout I found was to use Thunderbird. If you copy an email in Tbird the action will be reproduced on the server and thus on the web interface.
Hope this helps someone.
This is a very old thread. Did you read the most recent posts? Yes, you can copy a message to two or more folders in the Fastmail web interface, and there are at least two ways of doing this. I have tested the following when using the threaded display mode (group messages with their replies) setting in Settings>Customize>Preferences. Be sure to note the "Delete grouped messages from all folders" setting also. Here are the two methods:
  • The "hold down ALT key while dragging" method described in this thread still works. But you can't do this on a mobile device.
  • When reading a message, use the More>Send a Copy... feature to send a copy back to yourself. You can do this on a mobile device using the Fastmail mobile app.
    • You do need to be careful about the Discard duplicate messages (based on Message-Id) delivered to this folder feature you can set for each folder independently. If this feature is enabled (which I believe is the default), you can't send the message back to yourself if it is delivered to the original folder.
    • So you can either disable the discard duplicate feature for your Inbox or deliver the message to a different folder (which is what you wanted to do anyway). If you wanted to place a copy of the message in your Friends folder, use an address consisting of your account name+Friends@ the domain. If you want to copy it to the Bob subfolder under Friends, use account name+Friends.Bob@ the domain.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2019, 07:42 PM   #13
Bagnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
This is a very old thread. Did you read the most recent posts?[/list][/list]Bill
Yes, I read the whole thread
I just wanted to share a roundabout that could be used from the e-mail client, without going to the web interface.
Bagnet is offline   Reply With Quote