EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 14 Sep 2017, 09:29 PM   #1
hitoriangasu

Unhappy Plain text in the IOS app

Hi all,

I've had issues in relation to font size and formatting in Fastmail i.e. how hard it is to ensure uniform formatting in the web interface/app. In the end, I decided to just go with plain text.

However, when I comepose emails in plain texts in the IOS app, the message text and the signature text is different, even though both look the same when I compose a message in the web interface. The main body text as I am typing appears slightly larger and in a different font to the signature text.

I'm find the font and sizing issues with Fastmail increasingly frustrating - I use it professional and the formatting of my emails is increasingly all over the place except when I use Fastmail with a third-party application like Outlook. That defeats the purpose, however, of using the web interface. I now feel that, after ditching rich text, I can't rely on the plain text option either.

If anyone has any solution to the above that would be great. If Fastmail could also just all for something like numbered font options in the web interface for rich text that would be even better.

Best,

A
hitoriangasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Jul 2019, 04:31 PM   #2
tsphillips

Unhappy Plain text in the iOS app differs from plain text in the web interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitoriangasu View Post
I've had issues in relation to font size and formatting in Fastmail i.e. how hard it is to ensure uniform formatting in the web interface/app. In the end, I decided to just go with plain text.

However, when I comepose emails in plain texts in the IOS app, the message text and the signature text is different, even though both look the same when I compose a message in the web interface. The main body text as I am typing appears slightly larger and in a different font to the signature text.

I'm find the font and sizing issues with Fastmail increasingly frustrating - I use it professional and the formatting of my emails is increasingly all over the place ...
I have the same concerns. And even when I compose emails in plain text in the iOS app without signature text, the font is different than when I compose a message in the web interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitoriangasu View Post
If anyone has any solution to the above that would be great.
Yes, it would.
tsphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2019, 07:44 PM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

One of the largest formatting issues we all face is that no matter what your email looks like when you create it you have no control over how the message will be rendered at the receiving end. IMHO it is not worth struggling to format plain text messages. More than 50% of your messages are probably being opened on phones in the first place, which might destroy your formatting too.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2019, 11:41 PM   #4
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

A plain text email contains nothing at all about fonts - that's entirely down to the software displaying it.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2019, 06:19 AM   #5
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
One of the largest formatting issues we all face is that no matter what your email looks like when you create it you have no control over how the message will be rendered at the receiving end. IMHO it is not worth struggling to format plain text messages. More than 50% of your messages are probably being opened on phones in the first place, which might destroy your formatting too.
The fundamental issue that people are struggling with is that HTML was never intended to be a word processor. Originally, HTML was intended to represent the structure of the information, with the user deciding how they want to see it presented. Later HTML versions (especially in conjunction with CSS) provide features that allow you to attempt to force the HTML documents to be displayed in a manner you define, but the control is not absolute. Where you really want the recipient to see the information in an exact format, you pretty much need to use something other than HTML. Commonly, PDF attachments are the best solution, though using images in the main body of the email is sometimes done instead, especially in marketing emails.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2019, 06:35 AM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

The short answer is to not format regular email any more than necessary. Use a san serif web safe font like Arial 10-12 pt. Add paragraph breaks for spacing, and skip almost everything else. Yes, your HTML emails will look almost like plain text, but chances are they will be easy to read and get the point across. Start using fancy fonts and formatting and there is a very good chance your message will get garbled for some readers. If you want to get fancy with design use a marketing email platform like Mailchimp or Constant Contact.
Old 31 Jul 2019, 10:57 PM   #7
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
The fundamental issue that people are struggling with is that HTML ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Yes, your HTML emails will look almost like plain text, ...
The thread is about plain text emails.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Aug 2019, 12:09 AM   #8
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
The thread is about plain text emails.
The OP wants to "format" his plain text emails, and we are pointing out that doesn't work.

The OP wrote:
Quote:
I use it professional and the formatting of my emails is increasingly all over the place
If you want to format your email, you have to use Rich Text/HTML, and even then you remain at the mercy of the email client the reader uses to view the email.