EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 13 Dec 2011, 12:32 PM   #1
jeffpan
Master of the @

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
AOL Webmail upgraded

I new signed up an account on AOL, and found their webmail is upgraded.
The new interface looks better than before.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Dec 2011, 03:59 PM   #2
silverthe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
I new signed up an account on AOL, and found their webmail is upgraded.
The new interface looks better than before.

Hi jeff,

I just checked my AOL webmail and it's still the same (both the classic and phoenix interfaces).

Is the new interface only appearing on Newly created accounts?
silverthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2011, 05:41 PM   #3
jeffpan
Master of the @

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverthe1 View Post
Hi jeff,

I just checked my AOL webmail and it's still the same (both the classic and phoenix interfaces).

Is the new interface only appearing on Newly created accounts?
Don't know.
You please see this screencut:
http://www.dnsbed.com/newaolwebmail.jpg
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2011, 05:58 PM   #4
silverthe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
Don't know.
You please see this screencut:
http://www.dnsbed.com/newaolwebmail.jpg

Well, I signed up for a new account and Got the new webmail look. I must say...it's indeed great looking. I've got a reason to start logging into my AOL webmail and use it more often...lol.

And, it looks a lot better than Phoenix. And performs faster too
Old 13 Dec 2011, 08:38 PM   #5
guillaume
Essential Contributor

This webmail will be live to everyone in the first half of 2012.
here is an excerpt of an audio interview i made at LeWeb 2011 with Eric van Miltenburg SVP Business Operations - Consumer Applications Group

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4816/aolphoenix.m4a
guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2011, 08:02 PM   #6
drew
The "e" in e-mail

I got curious on you guys reporting of the new look so I found an old
user name I used maybe one year ago and for us in Sweden it do seems
we have the new layout too even on old accounts? I had aim.com though
or them treated my old account as a new due to me log in so seldom
that I became a new user with the old username?

looked okay to me. short domain name but I would rather have aol than aim
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Yes, but AOL has been unstable for a while, financially not doing too well, clearly losing the battle with other big players like Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, ... And not to mention some dodgy policies and decisions from the past.

If you browse through old topics on this forum about AOL (note that the 3 character name won't work in the Search field, so use Google to search on AOL within the .emaildiscussions.com domain instead) you'll see comments are far from unanimously praising.

I for now am sceptic, even when I heard some good things too, such as whitelisting and blocking emails from everyone not explicitly whitelisted...

But then I would be concerned about the stability. Also, I sort of dislike the domain. To quote Morrissey: "America is not the world". the domain stands for America OnLine. This is great for people living in America, but for me as a European with many friends in the Middle East, using a domain for email refering to the US indirectly would come across as odd. It'd be like using a domain @europe.com for email when the person is actually living in the States. Nice for experimenting, but not for using as a main address.

That said, I'd ignore the domain issue if I knew the service were stable and meeting my criteria such as long inactivity limits, HTTPS access and storing the latest log-in dates. My main worry is that AOL seems to be less stable than most other email services that have been around for a while.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2011, 10:25 PM   #8
silverthe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Also, I sort of dislike the domain. To quote Morrissey: "America is not the world". the domain stands for America OnLine. This is great for people living in America, but for me as a European with many friends in the Middle East, using a domain for email refering to the US indirectly would come across as odd. It'd be like using a domain @europe.com for email when the person is actually living in the States. Nice for experimenting, but not for using as a main address..

Even though AOL is fighting a losing battle as far as the Webmail services go, and it has little to its credit when compared to competitors, criticizing it just because it stands for America On Line is kinda naive. Don't you think?

If that's the case, you should also stop using Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail. Because they are all based out of the USA
Old 16 Dec 2011, 07:18 AM   #9
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillaume View Post
This webmail will be live to everyone in the first half of 2012.
here is an excerpt of an audio interview i made at LeWeb 2011 with Eric van Miltenburg SVP Business Operations - Consumer Applications Group

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4816/aolphoenix.m4a
Somehow, the notion of ex-Yahoo guys rescuing AOL doesn't give me confidence.

Still, I signed up for a new account, and what I see doesn't look "disruptive," just a nice new skin for the old product. We will see if this is what is being promised.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2011, 08:13 PM   #10
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverthe1 View Post
Even though AOL is fighting a losing battle as far as the Webmail services go, and it has little to its credit when compared to competitors, criticizing it just because it stands for America On Line is kinda naive. Don't you think?

If that's the case, you should also stop using Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail. Because they are all based out of the USA
You didn't understand my point. Regardless of my political opinions, I won't boycot any service from anywhere just because of where it's hosted. The difference is Gmail or Yahoo for example don't have the "America" word in their domain, even when they are hosted there. And the issue with America in the domain is not that I have some dislike of everything American (which by the way is not the case) but simply that a domain like that is ideal for those living in ... America. Similarly, a US citizen using a @europe.com email domain for his main address would be equally odd.

I once had a penpal in the Turkish part of Cyprus (Northern Cyprus that is) who used a @usa.net address even when he lived over 4000 km away from America and had never visited a country in the American continent. I always thought that was quite odd, a nice novelty on the other hand but I wouldn't rely on it as main email address. For US citizens it would be the opposite, a domain refering to America would be excellent and making sense.
Old 16 Dec 2011, 08:33 PM   #11
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Similarly, a US citizen using a @europe.com email domain for his main address would be equally odd.
..or EUMX.net.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2011, 10:37 PM   #12
malcontent
Essential Contributor

Quote:
The difference is Gmail or Yahoo for example don't have the "America" word in their domain, even when they are hosted there. And the issue with America in the domain is not that I have some dislike of everything American (which by the way is not the case) but simply that a domain like that is ideal for those living in ... America. Similarly, a US citizen using a @europe.com email domain for his main address would be equally odd.

I once had a penpal in the Turkish part of Cyprus (Northern Cyprus that is) who used a @usa.net address even when he lived over 4000 km away from America and had never visited a country in the American continent. I always thought that was quite odd, a nice novelty on the other hand but I wouldn't rely on it as main email address. For US citizens it would be the opposite, a domain refering to America would be excellent and making sense.
Who cares what address others use? I guess you do. As long as the other person is happy with it, why should anyone else care? You and others might think it odd but that's your issue not theirs.
malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2011, 08:43 AM   #13
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

True, and I've used mail services with very odd domains myself... However, I'd not use them as main address because it could be tough to memorise for those you pass your address to (or maybe the contrary if your address really stands out?)