EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Oct 2007, 04:45 PM   #1
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
New photogallery released

I've finally released the new photo gallery system to the production server.

It's got all the goodness the beta version had (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=50169), and I made a couple of last changes before rolling out.

1. Each image has a title and a comment, editable when in photo view on the Files screen
2. The title is displayed under each image on the grid view, and at the top of the page when viewing each photo singly. If a photo has no title, the photo filename is used
3. The comment is displayed as a popup when hovering over hte image in grid view, and under the image when viewing each photo singly. You can have basic html markup in the comment (<b>, <i>, <a href=...>)
4. I put some browser detection in and went with a scheme similar to Yahoo (A, X and C grade). This means modern browsers will get all the JS goodness, but it will still display ok with reduced functionality on older browsers.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Oct 2007, 09:28 PM   #2
Merovingian
Master of the @

This is a good day!
Brilliant!
Great job to everyone that worked on this, it is superb!
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 10:08 PM   #3
petergh
Master of the @

Smoooooth! :-) And excellent timing, too, seeing as my girlfriend is giving birth to our first child in a few days (meaning lots of baby pictures to add for friends and family to see).

Great job!
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 10:33 PM   #4
mvpittman
Essential Contributor

Nice, I was just looking into using Flickr, but the drag and drop on Linux with WebDAV makes this an easy alternative... (works well on other platforms too).

Last edited by mvpittman : 23 Oct 2007 at 03:25 AM. Reason: good is an adjective, well is an adverb.
mvpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 11:54 PM   #5
Hlao-roo

Looks fantastic. Just wondering...any chance of some sort of RSS feed? (Just thought I'd ask.)
Hlao-roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2007, 12:41 AM   #6
Edward Velo
Essential Contributor

Would it be possibe to also log access to this photogallery in the Options/Login log? Would be useful to check who is watching my (password protected) photogallery...

(IP address or maybe even a reverse lookup to the hostname would be appreciated :-)
Edward Velo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2007, 02:46 AM   #7
Anon48

Thumbs up

Just what I needed for my son's pictures!

Thank you Rob (and FastMail), really appreciated!

Last edited by Anon48 : 24 Oct 2007 at 01:12 AM.
Anon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2007, 02:51 AM   #8
nighthawk700
Essential Contributor

Since I didn't experiment with the Beta version, in fact never used the Files section of my e-mail account (just use e-mail...) is there a step by step guide somewhere?
nighthawk700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2007, 03:20 AM   #9
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Nice! I can't wait to get home and try this baby out! I have been using PicasaWeb and Flickr, and I suspect I'll continue to use them, but I'm going to take my increased file storage for a spin.
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2007, 04:14 AM   #10
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk700 View Post
Since I didn't experiment with the Beta version, in fact never used the Files section of my e-mail account (just use e-mail...) is there a step by step guide somewhere?
You can start by following steps 1. and 2. Here.
I don't think you need to worry about the steps in 3. with the new gallery?

After trying the above please post back with any questions.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2007, 04:47 AM   #11
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

My god, you made every stupid change I asked for. Thank you for turning off the moving-text-on-hover in the grid view. It looks really nice. My mother specifically mentioned appreciating the slide show function. Thanks too for getting it out so fast after first mention.
SamVilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2007, 07:44 AM   #12
Prognathous
Master of the @

It looks very nice, Rob. I even don't mind the fade-out-fade-in effect any more. Either I got used to it, or it's shorter than in the early betas. Bottom line: I like what I see.

Prog.
Prognathous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2007, 12:24 PM   #13
Shelded

Looked nice at first but...

It is broken. My pictures are ruined in this. Aspect ratio is not retained so portrait images are ruined into landscape. People get wide and blurry.

Navigating a directory tree, it appears the only exit from the modes is the Grid view. Why not in the other modes? As it is now it seems we must always go back to Grid view to navigate.

The slider now makes such a small diff in the images compared to prior version, why should we even bother with having it? Oh well, no harm really done.

I suppose multiple downloads never was requested. I would like to be able to allow father in law to get unmodified images all in one go.

Thanks for the attention.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2007, 01:20 PM   #14
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Shelded: What browser is this in? We tested pretty extensively with FF, IE6, IE7, Opera, Safari and everything was working fine.

The slider should make as much difference as the previous gallery, it covers the same image size range.

It seems something strange is going on specifically with your browser instance. Do you have any particular extensions or the like installed?

Rob
Old 23 Oct 2007, 01:51 PM   #15
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
I've updated the docs a bit here (you might need to Ctrl-F5 to refresh):

http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/faqparts/PhotoGallery.htm

And created a new wiki page to hopefully gather photo gallery style modifications here:

http://wiki.fastmail.fm/index.php?title=PhotoGallery

Rob