View Single Post
Old 20 Jan 2017, 03:33 AM   #65
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoforum View Post
You people think it's just a small inconvenience that shouldn't feel like extortion?...... Oh, you're getting elderly and you have dementia and you won't be able to remember a new one?
"Extortion"? Preying on people with "dementia"?

Excuse me, WHAT!!?!??!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoforum View Post
Yet somehow 99% of people are happy with free email services like gmail--and they probably will actually end up having addresses they can use for life. Now I wish I'd been able to sign up for gmail in 2002, but unfortunately it didn't exist yet.
About 2002, I signed up for my own domain name, and I've hosted my email at the service I prefer. I own my domain name. No one else does. I own it. Its mine.

Truth of the matter is, unless you own your domain name, the domain was never yours. Internet companies come and go. Offerings come and go. Heck, most internet providers available in my local area don't even exist anymore, nor do their email addresses.

If you really want to control your own online destiny, buy your own domain name and chose who hosts your mail for you. Then you can choose whomever you want to host your mail, but the identity is yours for life. -- or until they change the way the do domain names to something else.....
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote