View Single Post
Old 21 Mar 2018, 02:43 AM   #18
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoore View Post
I would find it annoying, but not a real problem if I had to change to a different email address. I'd rely upon updating my LinkedIn profile for anybody I lost touch with that might some day want to reach me. So I would not invest in a more expensive plan just to have my own domain. Your situation might be different.

Why did you originally chose the $50/year plan instead of the $30/year basic plan?. Why did you chose Fastmail in the first place? We might be able to give better advice if we understood your needs better.

I consider Fastmail a good investment because there are no ads/signatures, I typically go over a year without spam in my inbox and the support is reasonable. I don't care about CalDAV/CardDAV or a large mailbox. So I've stuck with a cheap "full" legacy plan. It's about $16/year due to multi-year discounts. When they eventually add JMAP support I'd be willing to upgrade in order to use it.

I have numerous free email accounts (for helping to support Thunderbird in the MozillaZine forums) but I don't rely upon any of them as they don't have any skin in the game.

Do you use webmail or a email client? Outlook and Yahoo cause periodic problems for non-Microsoft email clients such as Thunderbird. If you use a email client I suggest you consider using Gmail if you want to use a free email provider.

I originally used Yahoo free email for years but then they messed with it. I think that the original Yahoo email, about 10 or 15 years ago, was the best ever. I still have that account but it's no longer my main email account. Then I switched to Outlook, and then I was having some trouble with it like disappearing messages or something, so I switched to Fastmail. I used to have a free Fastmail account which they have since closed. I picked the $50 FM account because it looked like more for your money, but I don't need it. For some reason I have never been able to use GMail. I couldn't even figure out how to get my incoming messages into chronological order. I'll switch back to a free email system pretty soon I guess, tho my sub here still has quite a while to go. Switching emails is always a hassle.
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote