View Single Post
Old 25 Oct 2018, 12:10 AM   #5
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redge View Post
In any event, with a bit of searching and use of Terminal I was able to identify several sites hosted by FastMail/New York Internet.
What method did you use to actually identify if the sites in question were hosted by FastMail's web hosting specifically?

As a rule, any site hosted by FastMail should resolve to 66.111.4.53 and 66.111.4.54. If they're not pointing to those IP addresses, they're not being hosted by FastMail's web service, regardless of other ways in which they may be associated with FastMail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
This puzzles me, as I was under the impression that one could only host a very basic site with FM - nothing that would for example require its server to do anything other than serve files.
My thoughts exactly. The whole reason why FastMail is fast is because it's flat, static HTML files that are being served, so the speed is dependent only upon the bandwidth available to serve those files.

Now, that doesn't prevent somebody from shooting themselves in the foot with a lot of synchronous Javascript, or by not having their images properly web-optimized, but that's a design issue that has nothing to do with where your website is hosted, other than perhaps not having the necessary bandwidth to serve up huge images.

My own little personal blog (feel free to check it out here), which is static HTML that I built using Jekyll, runs lightning fast, but there's almost no JS there beyond the usual lightweight Disqus and Google Analytics pieces, and it's extremely light on images. For comparison, I have a copy of it over on Google cloud hosting as well, but there are no practical performance differences.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote