View Single Post
Old 2 Mar 2019, 11:23 PM   #38
TenFour
Master of the @

As has been pointed out, these potential "backdoors" won't really do anything to protect from real terrorists or semi-skilled criminals. There are still plenty of ways to send encrypted messages that are very hard if not impossible to crack in any realistic amount of time. If I'm not mistaken, services like Signal and Protonmail still exist and could be used by Australians just as before. In the US of A it seems like the FBI and others have no shortage of information with which to catch wrongdoers even without enhanced backdoors into private communications. The argument I hear and read seems to be that these things are needed in order to prevent a major terrorist attack like 911, or to catch a mass killer. In reality, there is always a different soft target and another way of doing things, so I really don't think this whack-a-mole approach to stopping crime is going to be effective. It still takes humans to understand and act on all the information flooding in, and resources are not infinite. Hence, judgment calls are made concerning what is important, what action should be taken. In hindsight there was all sorts of information that if pieced together correctly might have alerted someone about the 911 attacks. More information by itself won't really aid law enforcement
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote