Thread: Who's here?
View Single Post
Old 27 Oct 2007, 08:51 AM   #288
Csin

"upkeep of the forum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
Here's an idea that's really off the top of my head i.e. I have only just thought of it...

What about a forum that only email providers can post to, where a provider can buy their own thread for an annual fee of (e.g.) US$25. They would then be able to use it to post updates and news about their service at a predefined frequency (e.g. max 4 updates per month)

The token fee would stop the forum being buried in 500 threads as every co-branded site under the sun descends en masse to post about their service. (Think of it as a low quality-control hurdle combined with a chance for providers to contribute to the upkeep of the Forum)

The posting frequency cap would make sure that providers didn't just keep "bumping" their own threads to the top of the forum.

Finally, there would of course be additional rules required e.g. providers are only allowed to post about developments to their OWN service in that forum, and they would only be allowed to post "news" e.g. a post saying "Hey, check us out..." wouldn't count.

I'm going out on a limb a bit by outlining the above on this thread in "raw" form i.e. before I've had a chance to think through the ramifications in detail - but I'd be very interested in all feedback.
Sounds like it could work, depending on the interest of such providers. Another angle is to make it easy for other donations. For example I often use those 'Visa All-Access Gift' cards to make internet purchases for privacy/security reasons, for which they are ideal. Bad point is its hard to keep from having a couple bucks left on a 25$ or 50$ card, and so far I ain't found no way to use it up, so I usually end up tossing the card. I sure would not mind sending that last few dollars your way. Over a years time that could add up to at least $10, and if others jump on the bandwagon, who knows?
Csin is offline   Reply With Quote