View Single Post
Old 6 Jan 2017, 09:52 PM   #7
petar

That's what I suspected - that Google duplicates many messages for some reason. The thing is that I have removed all custom labels before importing. Basically I had one label - All (which is visible as Archive in IMAP) that has all the mail, Sent and empty Inbox. I have checked the option to eliminate duplicates on import.
The only explanation is that gmail keeps many duplicates for some reason - probably they were in some label and then moved or something like this - otherwise the total number of messages in "All mail" that I can see in Gmail web interface and the imported messages almost match - around 11000. They are not equal, but since the imported ones are more, I hope nothing is lost
At the end this is just curiosity. Keeping old mail is somewhat weird for me, I think important info should be kept elsewhere and mail should be transactional, but for many years I relied on the Google mentality "don't delete anything" and I am still a bit nervous that I may lose something. I have not needed an old mail for quite a while, however.
petar is offline   Reply With Quote