View Single Post
Old 6 Nov 2021, 09:45 AM   #1
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Roger McNamee lays into Facebook

Mark Zuckerberg was on the cover of Time magazine, and Roger McNamee - whom I really like - wrote this essay. I kind of like the idea of the equivalent of an FDA for the internet. Actually, what I'd like is some place you could go if a website is driving your crazy. Like when GMX was refusing to respond to me.

Facebook Will Not Fix Itself
By Roger McNamee

A huge portion of the U.S. economy operates according to the dictates of a system that Harvard University’s Shoshana Zuboff calls “surveillance capitalism.” Analogous to oil companies and other extraction businesses, surveillance capitalists assert property rights to every piece of data they touch, including data derived from public spaces and from the experience and property of others.

The economics of surveillance capitalism come from converting human experience into data, building models for every human from that data, and using those models to predict and influence behavior. Advertisers pay for those predictions. Surveillance capitalists also use the models to inform recommendation engines that manipulate choices and sometimes behavior. It is immensely profitable because humans make decisions in predictable ways, which facilitates manipulation.

https://time.com/6104863/facebook-re...roger-mcnamee/
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote