Thread: App Passwords
View Single Post
Old 25 Jan 2018, 06:06 AM   #11
jdmc

Question Deprecation of "___.messagingengine.com" hosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
On January 31, 2017, I asked Fastmail about the migration of old clients to the current system, and this is the reply:
Quote:
So if you use imap.fastmail.com/pop.fastmail.com/smtp.fastmail.com, you have to use an app password. This is what we recommend people use, what we advertise in our docs, and what all the auto-config services *should* use.

If you still use mail.messagingengine.com when you setup your client a while back, you can still use your master password.

The long term aim is:

1. Disable new users from using mail.messagingengine.com altogether (we can't do this just yet, because there's been some problems with iOS auto-config still returning the old mail.messagingengine.com server name), but I hope we can do it soon

2. Bit by bit, direct old users still using mail.messagingengine.com to switch to (imap/pop/smtp).fastmail.com with an app password

3. Eventually (likely years down the track), remove mail.messagingengine.com

Rob
Wow, this is very useful information. I only discovered this today, in January 2018. I would strongly suggest that some mention of the official deprecation and gradual phase-out of the "mail.messagingengine.com" host be placed into the sections of FastMail Help that discuss App Passwords and Server names and ports.

Question: Are other hosts named "___.messagingengine.com" — such as the DNS servers at "ns1.messagingengine.com" and "ns2.messagingengine.com" — also being deprecated?

Thanks,
~ Justin
jdmc is offline   Reply With Quote