View Single Post
Old 11 Nov 2018, 12:46 PM   #24
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

jhollington
Thanks for the post. It, in conjunction with the "Improving spam protection" Fastmail doc helped clarify this stuff up for me (I hope).

With respect to the spam learning folder setting the Fastmail doc specifically talks about that in relation to email clients using IMAP.

Quote:
There's no mechanism in the IMAP protocol for hooking into our spam reporting system directly. However, you can nominate special folders in your account which we'll scan once a day to learn spam/non-spam.
I assume that was its original intent.

Two final (I hope) questions:
  1. When I was experimenting with the sieve filter (currently now disabled it knowing what I know now) I created some sub-folders under Spam, i.e., Spam was the parent. These folders appear to behave just like the Spam parent, i.e,, you can mark stuff in it as "not spam" as opposed to "regular" folders wher you mark stuff as spam. So while I may not need this any more it seems you can get the same spam training behavior from folders which are the children of the Spam folder. Just thought I mention this in case my assumption is wrong.
  2. Somewhat off topic - When I first saw the reference "ham" in this thread I just thought it was a typo but never questioned it. In yours and following posts I see it's not a typo. I never heard that term before (not counting the meat) so what does "ham" stand for? What's it's origin?
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote