Thread: EMD Photo Page
View Single Post
Old 1 Jan 2024, 07:18 AM   #564
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Thanks, Bruce. For those unfamiliar with the EMD photo page, the URL is:
http://emdpics.somdcomputerguy.com/

I (purposely) lost 95 pounds a couple of years ago, and I demolished my old house and built a new one with solar panels and roof rainwater capture (in the background of my photo). And of course I’m an old guy now. So that new photo was needed.

I’m so old, I was involved with some maintenance on the GTE Telenet early X.25 packet switched data network. The node in Austin, Texas was installed in the office of my employer about 45 years ago, and I helped maintain it for a few years. This was the first real public data network, long before the internet. ARPANET was an earlier system, but it was only used at certain US Government and selected unitiversity locations. Telenet was available to anyone who paid for an account and logged in over a modem. When I was involved with it, the user access speeds were very slow (110 to 1200 baud modems). Our node in Austin used a data concentrator to combine many of these low speed lines and connected to the main regional node in Dallas using a 56 kbps modem over a leased conditioned special telephone line.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote