View Single Post
Old 8 Nov 2021, 09:00 PM   #398
giskard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBrooks View Post
I agree, it is very useful. I use it for select purposes. However I feel it is incomplete. You don't have any way to limit the use of the addresses to only those YOU create and you don't have any way to make them go away should you not want them active anymore.

Since your username is part of the address, anyone that wanted to could send you emails to BOZO@username.fastmail.com or replace bozo with thousands of other names that you don't have complete control over.

To keep from totally polluting my FM account, I created some FM aliases and use those in my generated email addresses. If I should get unwanted mail to random addresses as I described, I could kill the alias. That means I'd have to first changes all the addresses that I want to keep.

I'd love for FM to create a real disposable email address tool around this concept (And I'd pay extra for it!). Until then I also use Sneakemail and E4ward which give me the complete control I feel this concept requires. (Note, Sneakemail has shut down new user signups for some time. No idea if they will ever be restarted. This is part the reason I also use E4ward; in case Sneakemail shutsdown.)
The new Masked Email feature in FastMail would seem to be what you're looking for, and if you're using 1Password, then it integrates with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camner View Post
My solution is to use my own domain, with mail servers hosted at FM. So, the emails I make up are in the form <amazon@mydomain.com>, <paypal@mydomain.com> etc. I’m not exposing my FM email address.

I’d say I’ve been doing this for over a decade now, and in my Sieve rules I must have 50 or so email addresses that are sent directly to the trash heap (more accurately, they are deleted silently).

Works like a charm!
I've been doing the same with my own domain name for years too, the only issue I encountered was that some businesses would send an email to the address I'd registered with (e.g. wessexbuilders@mydomain.com) but I'd never receive the email, even though my domain setup had a catch-all redirect. If the email was sent to my gmail account then it worked, so I can only guess that the custom email address was treated as spam. Since using FastMail, I've been able to set it up so that FastMail's MX and DNS records are registered against my domain name on my domain host's control panel, then I've added my domain name (still hosted by my domain host) to FastMail and hey presto, so more issues with not receiving emails to made-up email addresses at mydomain.com

That feature alone is makes FastMail worth it for me.
giskard is offline   Reply With Quote