View Single Post
Old 5 Apr 2017, 02:03 AM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

In defense of mkn, I'm not sure if this specific form fill is controlled by the choice of browser and browser settings or Fastmail Ajax code. The choices you get obviously are being pushed from Fastmail. The general issues of auto form fill and autocorrect are a bit controversial, and I also feel that these features are often helpful but sometimes they cause trouble.

My point is that I'm not convinced that there is a certain assumption by most users on what happens if auto fill finds a specific address after you enter "fastmail", then you press the Tab, Enter, or Space key. I find nothing in Fastmail help about this topic, and I'm not sure if the user interface is even consistent. Tab should move to the next field, but should the auto fill value be applied or ignored? You could decide that the Enter key is the only way to use the auto fill selection (made using the up/down keys or mouse), and that the Tab and Space keys leave the characters you actually typed in the field unless Enter had been explicitly pressed. In some use cases this would require an extra Enter keypress before Tab was used.

I will engage Neil (the main Fastmail user experience architect) on this topic. I wonder if there is a clear industry agreement on this topic.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote