View Single Post
Old 23 Nov 2001, 02:38 AM   #13
CyberSmurf

the Microsoft connection

Internet Explorer defaults to msn.com (which has a Hotmail tab).
Outlook Express defaults to setting up a new Hotmail account.
Messenger defaults to setting up a new Hotmail account.

Microsoft is directing a lot of traffic towards Hotmail sign-ups.

Plus, virtually everyone gets an e-mail from someone with a Hotmail account. (Gee, must be a good service, it's so popular ).

Then, there are the people that sign up, forget their passwords, and sign up for another account.

- - -

Me, I signed up so that I would know what Hotmail featured. That way, when I tell people about other free e-mail providers I would have some basis for comparison.

I am currently letting my Hotmail account go dormant. I plan on reviving it in 2002, IF I am able (re: Hotmail cancelling accounts that haven't been used for 30 days). I like to experiment with services, I am curious if some of the 600+ spams per month that I get will go away if they start getting bounces.

Since Hotmail does not offer POP, and I use Eudora, my Hotmail address was not one I used in correspondence. But friends on Messenger would send mail to that address. I am using a non-Hotmail address for my current MSN Passport.

- - -

Do you think that Microsoft is using Hotmail to influence more people to use Outlook Express instead of other e-mail clients, since Outlook & Outlook Express are the only e-mail clients (that I know of) that support HTTP mail servers? Plus, they automatically have MSN (.NET) Passports, which makes the .NET concept LOOK popular.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote