View Single Post
Old 4 Aug 2019, 01:59 AM   #5
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Well, there's: http://www.intellegit.com/software/gemini/

Filters there can run for incoming messages or news, mail or news being sent, a folder being opened, or on a tidy (expiry of old messages in a folder). Lots of actions are/were possible.

Eg, I used occasionally to colour messages to make their subject lines etc stand out in a folder view, and I usually did that by editing the message itself to add eg "*gr*" to its subject, turning on a predefined (by me, that is) filter which examined subjects lines as folders were being opened and if they contained "*gr" setting message display colour to green, then opening that folder. Of course such a filter slows down folder-opening enormously, so as soon as the message had gained the 'green' attribute I'd turn off the filter.

The send filters allowed me to do things like look for mismatches between email addresses and where I was about to send them to, eg accidentally using an address I normally used for a mail list to go to somewhere that wasn't a list server.

I stopped using that client (after having catastrophic disk failures on the machines concerned - not the app's fault) and moved to webmail with two providers. I keep meaning to go back to it, but it's been so long that I know the client (which I used to be expert in using) will feel strange.

And, it's almost been forgotten by its developer. There's lots of outstanding bugs, though I'm not sure that there's any serious ones. On the other hand I know people do still use it (on Windows, Mac, Linux). There's a decent (well-written, detailed, lots of screenshots) manual.

More recently I've also contemplated using Claws Mail - see: https://www.claws-mail.org/index.php Obviously with its source available in theory one could make it do anything. It also has an extensible architecture & plugins can be written for it. On the downside when I last tried the Windows port it was unstable. That though was a year or two ago and I know there's been efforts made to solve that - don't know if they've been successful. A drawback is that for Windows users it's very hard to get the diagnostic info that the (mainly) linux maintainers need to fix problems detected on Windows. It's also a complicated client (though powerful) but like lots of open-source things pretty poorly documented.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote