View Single Post
Old 19 Jan 2017, 04:37 PM   #47
neoforum

Quote:
IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ANY PORTION OF THE SERVICE, OR WITH ANY OF THESE TERMS OF USE, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE USING THE SERVICE AND ITS RELATED WEB SITES.
I'm not dissatisfied with the service or the terms. In fact, one of the terms that I was satisfied with was the promise of a lifetime account. If they decide they don't want to provide the lifetime account they sold me, that's breaching my contract with them, not changing the terms..

Quote:
FastMail.FM may terminate your access to any part or all of the Service and any related service(s) at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately, for any reason whatsoever.
So maybe technically they could choose to be evil and terminate my account for some made-up reason. Probably terms like this are there to allow them to get rid of users who mis-use the service by spamming people or whatever, without having to prove they were really sending spam. The fact that they could legally be jerks doesn't mean they should be.

I suppose you're right, and people who bought member accounts in good faith, thinking they would stand by their promise to support them for life, are simply screwed, and we must now choose whether to submit to fastmail's extortion in order to keep the email addresses we've been using for 15 years and assuming would always be ours. I still hope they might surprise me and decide to do the right thing for their earliest customers. It's not like there are enough of us that an extra few subscription dollars from us could make any noticeable difference to their profits.

Quote:
Member account upgrades:
  • Basic account: FREE for 1 year ($0.00/year)
  • Basic account: $12.50 for 2 years ($6.25/year)
  • Basic account: $25 for 3 years ($8.33/year)
If I live for another 50 years or so and pay every 3 years, my lifetime cost for fastmail is being jacked up from $15 per account to either $667 (if they continue offering us the oh-so-generous 50% discount going forward) or $1293 (if not).

Here's a question for all of you who think this is a good deal: would you have paid $667 in 2002 for a lifetime email address? I didn't think so. And if no one had paid for their lifetime email address offer in 2002, would fastmail still exist today? No, because then their revenue that year would have been $0, because all of their paid accounts then included the lifetime promise.

So fastmail owes their existence to their early customers, and now they're blackmailing us by making us pay more or else forcing us to go through all the headaches of changing our addresses.
neoforum is offline   Reply With Quote