View Single Post
Old 11 Feb 2022, 10:41 AM   #3
audelair
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Maybe not what you want to do, but it is very easy to use a provider like Purelymail just for the email part of things and then get all the other stuff by fetching the mail to a free Gmail account, giving you the nice calendar, contacts, email apps, etc. you want. Of course there is no customer service with free Gmail. Another option you don't mention is Microsoft, providing the potential for email, calendar, app, and even some customer service. iCloud+ email is another option if you're in the Apple ecosystem. It can essentially be free if you are already paying for extra iCloud storage. Here in the USA with the popularity of iPhones anyway I would suggest iCloud+ is the best solution for those families who want domain email for the least cost and the least hassle, unless they already pay for a Microsoft 365 family plan, which includes everything you might need. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Microsoft's email due to its terrible spam filtering that routinely puts junk in your inbox while putting valuable emails into your spam folder no matter what you do. There's also Zoho that provides the whole kit and kaboodle: email, apps, calendar, contacts, office, etc. From my reading of various forums I think there is a very wide variety of legacy G Suite refugees with very different requirements and use cases, so no single solution jumps out as the best one. Some are just individuals, others have families that were in it just for domain email, others are small businesses, while still others were essentially creating email services by supplying accounts to many others. There isn't one size that fits all with email.
Yea, Microsoft and iCloud are definitely worth a consideration. I'm hesitant to get more locked into the Apple ecosystem, though. Microsoft probably is worth looking into, but I don't like the Hotmail spam filtering and thinking Office 365 might be the same. Definitely no one-size-fits-all solution and I'm thinking I'll stay with Google Workspace until the 1 year 50% discount is up. But I already feel like I have one foot out the door.
audelair is offline   Reply With Quote