View Single Post
Old 7 Dec 2021, 06:16 PM   #31
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokkes View Post
Here's the answer one of the providers I'm unable to receive messages got as a bounce.

Recipient
address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table

Which makes absolutely no sense since as I said I get 99+% of my email so obviously the address exists.
And yet, Fastmail is telling you that there is nothing in their logs. Any such rejection must end up in their logs, surely. That is what makes me think that the message is being sent to the wrong MX server, though probably one also based on Cyrus IMAP. Another possibility is that the log search was not done correctly, but I suspect this is a procedure they do rather often and a mistake is unlikely.

Certainly, possession of the complete rejection email (allowing you to trace where the rejection message came from) would be incredibly useful.

EDIT: Can you ask Fastmail support to do a global search on all messages associated with your custom domain, checking if there are any that are giving errors?

EDIT: If your custom domain does not have a wildcard alias, I recommend strongly that you add one, at least until this issue is resolved. A misspelled address from manual transfer of the address between systems could result in the symptoms observed (join@mydomain.com instead of john@mydomain.com) if there is no wildcard alias at Fastmail.

Last edited by BritTim : 7 Dec 2021 at 06:30 PM.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote