View Single Post
Old 20 Jul 2017, 01:06 PM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilquoll View Post
... The reply is auto-included as an attachment in .EML format, but this is not a good idea as (1) I suspect a lot of people won't be able to open this file, and may not even know what it is; (2) not including it inline defeats the purpose of including it at all; and (3) several email providers mistake this type of file for a binary which could be a vector for malicious code (it's actually a UNIX text file)...
As previously noted, it's easy to change the reply behavior to inline. I don't see the big problem if you do include a .eml attachment, since it has been a common format for saving email for many years. In particular, you can read the .eml attachment using:
  • Fastmail web interface: Click View for that attachment and you will see a new window which shows the original email. My original test message had two .eml attachments, and I can read an .eml message inside a .eml message.
  • Gmail web interface: The original .eml attachment message and sub-messages (.eml attachments as described above to the .eml main message) are automatically expanded inline.
  • Yahoo web interface: The original message inside the .eml attachments is displayed inline automatically. Sub-messages are shown as attachments.
  • AOL web interface: The .eml attachment message and sub-messages are automatically opened inline, similar to Gmail.
  • Outlook.com web interface: I can read the .eml attachment main message and see the .eml sub-messages.
  • Outlook email client: I can read the .eml attachment and the .eml sub-messages.
  • Thunderbird email client: I can read the .eml attachment and the .eml sub-messages.
So the .eml attachment type is very commonly used in web interfaces for email providers and in email clients. Which popular systems don't handle .eml correctly?

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote