View Single Post
Old 26 Jan 2020, 07:52 PM   #10
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
On business sites when I purchase something, I go to the checkout screen to enter shipping and credit card information. ... It does not happen with Amazon.
On the business sites (not Amazon), do you start by logging-in to them? I know that many sites don't need that, but then again some I've used require it later on in the checkput process. And some can be done entirely without registering... but you have to type in all the details every time.

Unfortunately I know nothing at all about Macs, Safari, and their options. I'm wondering if there's some sort of 'parental control' software turned on that might be blocking what sites you can use (as if you were a child). It's interesting that Amazon (a globally trustworthy site) works, but some others don't. Maybe on some list somewhere the ones that don't are considered in some way dodgy.

With Amazon, when you start your shopping do you sign-in? With the other sites that work, do you also sign-in? Are the ones that don't work those that either require sign-in only when you get to checkout, or don't require it at all?

I'm curious because you mentioned having to provide shipping & payment details, and for me most business sites I deal with already know these because I've registered with them. Maybe your real issue is that (perhaps because of the email problem) you've not been able to complete registration with the companies that require that at the start or during checkout?

I find it quite hard to believe that you could have all these website problems without any of them showing you any error messages. Are there none, or is it just that you you don't note down what happens so can't tell us?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Email-wise: you say that no emails are arriving at FM. Apart from those that are purchase-related, did you, when it was all working properly in the past, get regular emails from friends, businesses (eg telling you about today's special offer etc), etc?

If you did, all the regular stuff should still be being sent to you by all those businesses.

If emails are being sent to you, and are not being received by FM, their staff should at least be able to find evidence of them being rejected by their servers.

If emails are being sent to you, and are being received, but then vanish so you never see them, their staff should be able to find out what is making them vanish. (I guess that that could be filters, or very aggressive anti-spam settings regarding all mail as spam, or it could be that another device is grabbing them all / deleting them before you see them.)

No-one here on the forum can look that closely. You DO NEED to ask FM staff for their hep.

You can raise a ticket via their website once you are logged in: click their icon at the top left, then choose Help, then 'contact our support team'. They do normally send emails out telling you when someone has replied to your ticket, but you don't need to be able to see those emails. Instead, every so often when you next login, go back through Help, 'contact our support team' and when you get to the place where you could create a new ticket, click on "Active tickets" to see those that are open, or "Closed tickets" to see those that have been closed (which might include any you create if you don't find them and reply soon enough).
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote