View Single Post
Old 7 Aug 2007, 05:42 PM   #306
NMC

Died and gone to heaven?

Never liked webmail - too much fuss and data loading for what should be quicksticks text communicating without fat. The better webmail services were/are just too pricey and full of features that a plain user like me can't justify paying for.
Loved Eudora for years until the suits cast it adrift - can't remember exactly when the rot started, but my OS X version stayed at 4.x and the XP one at 5.x.

Started supporting Thunderbird after reading the promises from Mozilla corp about supporting it (and the orphaned Eudora); gee, I was even mug enough to get on the forums and feedback bugs and feature ideas. Ha! Fancy being dull enough to persist with all the funny bugs and bloat and the lack of just about any development for the last year?

So after the casting adrift of TBird/Eudora/Penelope, I thought that there was just no way but to accept my isp's crippled webmail interface when my aging Eudora versions become incompatible with their OSes.
The isp is 1nternode, and their webmail is fairly lean and quick, but for heaven's sake, I've recently found that their "silent" rejection of positive virus-scanned messages (in and out) can't be toggled to let a user know a minimum detailed fate of such messages! The website claims otherwise but I've tested it with the EICAR test file and the server just eats positive messages with no burps. The isp is silent on my requests for fixing the behaviour.
How is a person to trust that the anticipated job acceptance advice hasn't been swallowed whole in some kind of false positive tag?
That was the double whammy that showed me that I needed an isp-independent email account.

So there I was, depressed, mourning the end of the internet-as-I-knew-it, biting my tongue at all the wading through webmail inline tags that I had to do with the acceptance of forced top-posting in these web 2 days, and not even able to look forward to retreating to a fantasy world of just-the-text-ma'am inside my own email client.
I got a gmail addy and wept. JS and cookies for plain text communication that takes some weird kinds of page changes to show me some of the silliest contextual ads ever. Creeps. Not to mention the privacy invasion considerations of all that trawling of content of messages.
And then I saw the fastmail recommendation out of the corner of my eye in a Penelope/Eudora forum post.

Having given you lot a try-out for a week, I'm just about to buy a plain account. It's simply heavenly to be back with plain emailing again.
Please tell me that you intend to maintain the non-silent AV detection - your FAQ on the topic indicates your understanding of the need for flagging it?
NMC is offline   Reply With Quote