View Single Post
Old 13 Jul 2023, 08:04 PM   #5
chrisjj
Cornerstone of the Community

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
Moreover, FM's GUI search interface lacks immediately visible documentation. There's no indicator that "after" might not be intuitive, and no link to a help page.
Moreover, what help there is confirms: "Use before: or after: to search for messages before or after certain dates."

I can see no grounds to doubt the implementation is simply defective. FM's denial disconcerts me.

Quote:
Currently the search help page says nothing at all about "after date" meaning "after the first nanosecond of that day".
That as expected - given such a self-contradiction would surely have alerted the team to the fault at the outset.

Quote:
There's a principle, "least astonishment", that's used in some programming languages and in interface design - see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princi...t_astonishment - in which interfaces are meant to be designed so that they'll do what most users would expect. My view would be that this feature violates that principle.
Agreed, but this issue does not rest on user expectation. It is at simplest a failure of program to behave as documented.

PS FM would find this tricky to fix without perturbing existing stored searches.

Last edited by chrisjj : 13 Jul 2023 at 11:24 PM.
chrisjj is offline   Reply With Quote