View Single Post
Old 25 May 2018, 07:08 AM   #55
TenFour
Master of the @

Maybe this is a topic for a different thread, but it seems to me there is a lot of hype around GDPR being generated by companies that stand to gain some business by supplying compliance services to other companies. For example, here in the USA a very small, very local nonprofit I work for received urgent notices from several tech suppliers about all sorts of things we must do immediately to be in compliance, yet my reading of the GDPR indicates we would be exempt. We don't solicit anyone in Europe--in fact we don't really do it outside of our state. As far as I can tell we do not have a single person in our database based in Europe. But, just assume that someone for some reason decided to send us a check from Europe. That would instantly put us in non-compliance, if what I read is correct. So, how or why would European regulators bother to go after us? We are totally based in the USA, with no operations of any sort outside the USA. It seems like some are implying that we are still required to comply with EU law, which I can guarantee you probably 90% of USA companies do not and probably will not. Nonprofits here in the USA are probably 95% non compliant. For those in Europe, imagine if the USA passed a law that said anyone who wants to sell anything into the USA must now register as a US company, or some other silly law like that. Imagine the uproar!
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote