Thread: Spam protection
View Single Post
Old 19 Jul 2019, 03:42 PM   #22
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr David View Post
Considering the use of a catchall though, it will catch everything. That might create issues with spam management. Unless a rule you've created is applied before the catchall accepts delivery.
I don't see how a catchall poses any more spam problems than any other email address. When actually used it's got to be an actual email address like any other. So it will be handled like any other. All it accomplishes is a shorter list of send aliases and some cost of having to edit in the From should you use it for sending.

Quote:
Anyhow, should there be a need in future for a special reply address that can be used in the From field of outgoing messages that I compose, I'll know how to create it. The interface for making it looks easy to use, obviously detailed understanding of its options will require a bit of learning investment.
No harder than creating any other sending alias.

Quote:
I think the way it works is these plain language options apply the appropriate syntax to the FM back-end and effect the result you (hopefully) intended.
All it does is convert the UI specified Organize rules into Sieve code and embeds it in the appropriate place in the Sieve script. Create a rule in the UI Rules Organize section, click "Edit custom Sieve code" at the bottom (or top), and scroll down to section 7 (Sieve generated for organise rules) to see your rules in the Sieve script.

Personally I like to write some of my rules directly in Sieve as opposed to the UI. It's more compact for come constructs then spread out in the UI organize list. I think that's why I worded my question the way I did, i.e., checking the name to the left of the @ for dots.
Quote:
I gave an example in the form of: ivm@mrdavid.fmdomain.tld
I'm not sure which rules I made successfully blocked it, but these are the ones I have in my list:
1) "any header" "matches glob pattern" [ *ivm* ]
2) "a header called" [ To ] "contains" [ ivm ]
"a header called" [ Cc ] "contains" [ ivm ]
"a header called" [ X-Delivered-To ] "contains" [ ivm ]
I thought you said the "ivm" could be varied with other letters. If it's that fixed sequence ivm then there's all sorts of ways to check for that. Probably using "contains" is the easiest. Also "testing "any header" is overkill but if you do that one you don't need any of the others.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote