View Single Post
Old 24 May 2022, 08:53 PM   #9
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Eventually I aggregated everything in (almost) one email account, and the easiest way to do it is with my own domain name.
I still use mainly one local-part in many domains, but they are all subdomains of my own domain.
Sure, you can use a UniqueUsername with your own domains too! A lot of us here on EMD seem to do a lot of different things and have multiple email addresses and domains for various things, but with the UniqueUsername approach we can still be easily identifiable no matter which project we are dealing with.

Another topic, but I am not so sure that owning and using your own domain for email is as secure and reliable as many here seem to assume. There are many ways to lose control of your domain, and it adds at least one or two service providers you must depend on and maintain service with. The other day I was surprised to find something important (not a domain registrar) was being renewed even though the service was on autopay with an expired credit card. It was lucky it went through, but made me realize how many important things depend on credit cards and expiration dates. Something like a domain registrar, that you likely don't log into very frequently, yet contains lots of complicated and important information, becomes vulnerable to hackers, viruses, etc. simply because it is out of sight, out of mind. Using domain email your domain registrar becomes the single most important vendor, at least to me, in my cyber security world. Choose carefully!

One of the easiest mistakes I have made many times is to create a unique email address for some domain I own, then forget about it and accidently delete that address on my end. Using only a few UniqueUsernames with whatever domain helps prevent this. For example, you might use a particular UniqueUsername for subscriptions to newsletters, another for credit cards or banks, and maybe another for really throwaway forum registrations. But, I wouldn't create unique addresses for each registration--too large a possibility of losing access to that unique address.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote