View Single Post
Old 29 Jan 2021, 02:01 AM   #4
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Well...

"I don’t remember how or when I started using eM Client, probably when I bought my new windows 10 computer 2018. Don’t remember any notes."

The less someone knows about how things work, the more necessary it is that they keep notes on how they set things up. All you need is a folder, with a file describing what you've done for each application, or part of Windows itself. Each time you install new software or make alterations to how it is set up, note what you did, or save screenshots. If an installer asks questions, note what choices you made. If you ever have to reinstall something, perhaps on a new computer, it's helpful to know what you did last time. It doesn't necessarily matter if you don't understand what things mean; what matters is that you can (hopefully) find out in future how you previously did things so you can replicate that.

And if in the last few days you've tried changing things, it'd help if you knew what you'd tried and whether the error messages changed at all while doing that (and what to).

Maybe TalkTalk are now enforcing a more secure way of logging in? I did look at their support forum a few hours ago, and various people have problems that might be the same as yours, but it's hard to tell.

"When try to send or reply to an email the error message comes up and I have the choice of open account settings. Unfortunately I don’t understand what I am seeing but I have noticed the PW seems different in length. IMAP and general are the same SMPT is shorter. I have tried to make them the same but still no luck and when I do the diagnosis it fails on the SMPT I have screen shots of the error message and the settings. There is a log file full of errors reports. What you say looks terribly difficult for me to understand."

Sending an email and replying to an email are the same process; both involve use of an SMTP server.

Are new mails still arriving and becoming visible in eM Client? That part of the process would be using the IMAP server.

Presumably when you login to TT "on the internet" you only use a single password. I have no way to tell if that is the same password as either/both of your server passwords. (That's the sort of thing the notes you haven't got would have been useful for.)

It might be worth resetting the eM Client passwords to whatever you use for the TT webmail system, but if these passwords are meant to be different that might make things worse.

Also... when you view passwords, do you see them as letters and digits etc, or just blobs? Sometimes when systems show blobs they deliberately do not have the same number of blobs as the number of characters in the actual passwords (so that anyone watching you type a value can't tell by counting blobs how long your password is). That might be part of why the lengths of passwords seem different.

You also said "IMAP and general are the same". What is "general"? Are there three passwords defined?

Maybe you need to ask eM Client support about this? Tell them the URL of the page which describes TT's servers etc, say you are in the "old Tiscali account" category, and ask them exactly what should be in the account settings. And tell them the error message. That "unexpected end of stream" might mean something to them. (I did actually find someone asking this on eM Client's forum, six years ago, but their problem just went away after a day or two.)

Google found me this:
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/...l/td-p/2295088

- which is an eM Client problem with the same error message, and maybe implies that resetting your password using their website, and not using characters like "£" in it, might help. Then you'd put the same new password into eM Client, presumably.

Getting a tech to visit you ... well, personally I'd not want anyone to come into my house at the moment. At your age I'd be even less happy about that.

Screenshots: do you know how to obscure or blur-out details (userid, password if it's readable) etc? Do you have any cloud storage (eg Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox)? If you do you could put the screenshots (with some details obscured if needed) online and then copy&paste their URLs into a reply here so that we can see them. Likewise some of the logfile errors, unless it's only the message you mentioned at the start, over and over again. But again, you need to make sure you don't make anything confidential visible to other people.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote