View Single Post
Old 15 Apr 2018, 10:14 PM   #26
walpurg

Disclosing customers' primary email addresses for the purposes of running some lousy survey seems like incredible amateur hour and something I honestly wouldn't have expected from FastMail, ever...

As is evident, quite a few customers (myself included) are very purposefully not giving this address to anyone, so for FastMail to give it to some random entity without asking permission is a violation of trust more than anything. This is not about the survey company's privacy policy, how easy it is to change the main address, etc. etc. -- the point is that an email provider should not be proactively giving out its customers' addresses without their express consent, period. (This would actually apply to our other aliases as well, not just the main address.) What the heck are they smoking over at FastMail these days? It's obvious that there are trivially easy (particularly for email pros like them) ways to not give out customers' existing email addresses for this at all (temp aliases or forwarders like customer1234_at_fastmailusersurveys.com, for example); and even if, by some dubious rationale, giving out an existing address would be deemed absolutely unavoidable, there's no legitimate excuse for not asking for customer consent first.

I thought we were paying FastMail for (among other things) never having to worry about stunts like this... The continuing slide of the company's mindset from "customer first" to "our convenience first" is troubling indeed.
walpurg is offline   Reply With Quote