View Single Post
Old 7 Oct 2018, 06:46 AM   #9
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroutledge View Post
I'd like to use clients on my phone (not an iPhone) and on the desktop, but as far as I'm aware it's not possible to send email from a client using an identity other than the default one using the 'Force all emails I send through 3rd party email clients to come from this address' toggle on the 'Identities & Fetch' settings screen.

(An alternative is to send from another domain, but not what I'm looking for.)

I hope I'm wrong. Please let me know how to do it (and which email client(s) it work with), if it is possible.

(Edit: The Android Fastmail App supports this. Unfortunately my phone is not Android and I don't think there is a desktop equivalent to the Fastmail app, so still looking.)
With most email clients that do not support multiple identities for the same account, you can overcome the limitation by using dummy POP accounts for the extra email addresses. You use a dummy POP mail server (something like 'dummy.com' and the real SMTP address. This is facilitated by the fact that FastMail allows you to use some alternate forms of the login username, other than 'username@yourdomain'. You can also use 'username#yourdomain', 'username/yourdomain' and 'username=yourdomain'. You will want to use the option on your identities to save outgoing messages on SMTP, and suppress saving to the phone sent folder if possible.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote