View Single Post
Old 1 May 2010, 11:50 PM   #337
mrparson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRem View Post
Maybe they handled this badly. Maybe they could have done something differently. Maybe they couldn't. But we are all intelligent people here, presumably. If you can make your case in a calm, factual, rational manner I am sure they would be more than willing to listen to what you have to say, and maybe even address any negative effects the acquisition might have for FM customers.
There are a lot of maybes here, and maybe that is part of the problem. The calm factual response is, users were given very little time to make a decision to either leave or stay; that is a fact.

I had very little personal knowledge of Opera (you might say, about 1%), but what I did know was that being given hours to make a choice was not the way to handle customer relations.

It took me some time to sign on to FM in the first place not being in my home country, and when I finally believed all was well they sell to another entity that I know nothing about, I have all of a few hours to make a choice. That is the fact.

Now I chose to leave due to this type of treatment, and not knowing what is going on with this new company. I had no interest in letting them have my personal information.

Why if they can wait 12+ hours to allow people to click on "Cancel My Account," could they not give 24-72 hours to make that same choice?
That might be a fact you want to ask them.

There are facts on both sides, and since no facts were forth coming in a time frame that allowed people to make an informed decision, it was better to cancel and move on (or in my case back to Netaddress) then to leap into the unknown, trusting the company that gave no information was going to be up front from this point forward.

Also, I am a bit miffed at FM for running specials to get people to sign up, just before they sold everyone over to Opera. The deal was done, they did not need to do that, and Opera could have run a special once they took over.

Well, there it is in a nutshell; level headed, stated clearly and it is hard to dispute the points since neither of us have all the facts because we were never given them.
mrparson is offline   Reply With Quote