View Single Post
Old 25 Feb 2014, 05:50 AM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogweed View Post
I’ve spent a great deal of time on this before giving up. I’m in a legal dispute with somebody, and have put all our email correspondence in a new folder. A couple of times, when I logged back on to Fastmail, the folder had disappeared completely! I nearly had a heart attack. And the messages weren’t back where they’d come from either.

It seems to be back again – for now – but as you can imagine, I am very worried about the possibility of losing my crucial data. I searched in vain within Fastmail for any way of downloading them to a local backup; then looked on various forums etc, where people recommended various utilities. I tried a couple of them (I THINK IMAPsize was one of them, but they couldn’t communicate with your servers.

So I installed Thunderbird, and tried that – it couldn't either. Eventually, I was desperate enough to try something by Microsoft (Outlook 2010), so followed your instructions VERY carefully – Outlook couldn’t talk to your servers either. I tried this 3 times, laboriously slowly, making sure there wasn’t any tiny detail I’d missed. No go.

How can I back my data up please?
Thanks
There is actually a way provided by Fastmail to download the messages of a folde as a zip file. In the current interface, it is rather well hidden. Go to Settings => Folders and click on Advanced (top right). Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Purge//Download//Remove duplicates.... The page that appears allows you to select a folder and one of the options is to download the contents of the folder as a zip file.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote