Thread: Fetch Mail
View Single Post
Old 5 Aug 2019, 05:45 AM   #9
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Not totally hidden but IMO they really screwed up the UI for it. The least they should have done is include an "Add" to the Mail Fetch list. They let you view the list. They let you edit the entries. That's like the older "Identities & Fetch" UI. But they don't let you add new Mail Fetch entries from there.

Another complaint is switching to using IMAP fetch and not giving the user a choice between IMAP and (the original) POP fetch. Some email services have different options for POP vs. IMAP access if they support that at all. For example, look at gmail's "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" settings. In the "POP download" settings they allow you various options when POP fetched (e.g., mark as read in gmail's inbox) but not IMAP fetched.

I suppose the alternative to Mail Fetch is to have the other service just forward emails to your FM account since there may be other options for those as well in the other service.

FWIW when this new UI came out I submitted a ticket on these two items. They said they forwarded the comments to their UI group. Haven't heard any feedback since.

One final point about mail fetch vs. forwarding specifically as it applies to yahoo. I have an ISP that uses Yahoo as it's email service provider and thus uses yahoo's servers (albeit using unique server names). The yahoo servers, at least accessed through my ISP, are a bit unreliable in that FM's periodic access to their email fails about 30% of the time (haven't really kept the statistics). Result is a "Mail fetch retrieval error" sent by FM (IMAP Command : 'login' failed. Reason was : IMAPTalk: Connection was unexpectedly closed by host). No other mail fetch I've set up to other services displays this behavior, nor oddly enough does my Thunderbird accessing those same servers via POP. So I switched to using forwarding for that account as the 100% reliable alternative.

Note when FM was doing POP fetch the failures also occurred but then there was a unique failure message indicating a timeout error. So maybe the yahoo failures are because of being under heavy load. Still wouldn't explain why my Thunderbird email client has never shown any access failures for all the years I've used it accessing those same servers. I once asked FM about this and they really didn't have an explanation either.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote