View Single Post
Old 6 Nov 2019, 07:41 PM   #33
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
You can also import them to desktop email clients and probably some other providers' online email systems. It's a nuisance that you can't get them into FM again directly, but it doesn't make the archives useless.
IIRC they are eml files, that any mail client can open, so that you can then just configure your FastMail account on your mail client and copy or move the messages to any folder you like. However I don't regularly use an email client so for me this would require that I configure one on some computer. So it's not entirely "one-way", but it's also not "two-way". It's just not a dead end street: you can go back using some other streets through a neighborhood you're perhaps not entirely familiar with. A simple way to upload a file full of messages back would be much more convenient.
If something like this is provided some time in the future (a simple mechanism to upload a single zip file full of eml files, or what ever is in the mail archives downloaded from FastMail) I would be happy that it would also upload files in the mbox format (I have many collections of email from the 1990's that were on various university unix systems I used back then, created by the unix mail command. I think the format is called "mbox"). For almost 20 years I consider uploading them to FastMail so that I have all of the email I ever saved in one easily searchable place that I use every day, but I never did it because it involved more that one step and having to understand in advance and plan the required steps.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote