View Single Post
Old 10 May 2006, 05:38 AM   #59
sjk
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by dantheman
Thank you SJK for the insight into a company i always thought had some kind of future ahead of it.
Let's thank Matt, not me.

One thing I've wondered is whether Apple's switch to Intel processors contributed to Mulberry's demise. The OS X code base was still being compiled with CodeWarrior and it would have taken a significant effort converting to Xcode. I don't know the per-OS breakdown of Mulberry customers but there seemed to be close to as many OS X as Windows users actively participating on the mulberry-discuss mailing list (one of my all-time favorites; a sad loss). And Mulberry was originally developed on Mac OS (pre-X), adding to my unconfirmed impression that Mac customers would always remain important to Cyrusoft. The two-way loyalty street, as Matt mentioned.

I hope Cyrus positively influences mail product development at Apple although it may be in everyone's better interest to leave the UI work for someone else. My speculation says he'd be more involved with server projects but the Apple Mail client could benefit from some of Mulberry's uniquely powerful features being integrated. Multi-platform support was crippling Mulberry development on OS X, which isn't an issue with Mail. Heck, I'd even pay for an Apple Mail "Pro" version that came close to the Mail/Mulberry mutant I can imagine.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote