View Single Post
Old 4 Dec 2018, 10:44 AM   #1
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Identities & Fetch Fetch settings vs. it's Sieve code

I was going to submit the following as a ticket. But I thought I would post it here for opinions of what I believe is a bug.
-------

I have three identities enabled and created; a.com, b.com, and c.com. Also three corresponding folders to filter into; a, b, c. Sieve generates the following code (fake X-LinkId for this example of course):

Code:
### 8. Sieve generated for fetch mail filing
elsif header :is "X-LinkId" "12345" {
  fileinto "INBOX.a;
}
elsif header :is "X-LinkId" "67890" {
  fileinto "INBOX.b";
}
elsif header :is "X-LinkId" "54321" {
  fileinto "INBOX.c";
}
Fine, that's what you would expect. But now I disable b's Fetch by unchecking "Fetch mail from this account into b and keep a copy". Or I keep it enabled and change "keep a copy" to "delete the copy", none of this has any effect on the sieve code. The condition and fileinto filter remains unchanged in the sieve code.

I can understand the possibility of the "keep a copy" or "delete the copy" being done at the server level thus not affecting the sieve code. But why does disabling the fetch by unchecking "Fetch mail from..." not cause the corresponding fileinto sieve clause to be deleted? With it deleted the b.com mail would end up in the Inbox unless an explicit organize rule is created. And that is exactly what happens if I have the "Fetch mail from..." set to Inbox instead of b. The sieve clause is deleted.

So in summary, enabling or disabling a Fetch identity's "Fetch mail from this account this account into..." has no effect on the sieve code unless the destination folder is the Inbox. I would expect the sieve clause to be deleted exactly as if Inbox were specified as the destination (unless an explicit filtering rule is also defined by the user). As it stands now mail will always get sorted into it's specified folder whether it's Fetch is enabled or disabled unless the destination folder is the Inbox.

What's the reasoning behind this or is this a bug (as opposed to a "feature"), or what am I missing in my reasoning?
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote