View Single Post
Old 25 Feb 2024, 06:11 AM   #3
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

I have a long list of "My email addresses".
They have six different types:
  • Alias
  • Shared alias
  • Catch-all alias
  • Shared catch-all alias
  • Send via Fastmail
  • none (that is: nothing in the "type" column)
What I see is that "shared" means that there is more than one target (the received email is routed to more than one location). It says "Messages sent to this address will go to you and other members of your team." but this is not true: they are routed to my account in Fastmail and a copy is sent to an external account as a backup.
"Catch-all" mean it is ca catch-all alias' of course (all addresses under a domain).
"Send via Fastmail" is the email address from the organization that employs me, that I set as an identity many years ago. I have all email sent to that address forwarded to my Fastmail account where I handle it. Usually I reply from a different address in my own domain.
The addresses that have no type designation are in subdomains of either my own domain or a Fastmail domain (when another alias allows me to receive mail at that subdomain). I also have one email address without a designated type that is a catch-all address at an external domain that cannot be used for sending anymore because I cannot verify that address.
So at least from my addresses it seems that those with the various "alias" types are ones that have a target (and that were setup as aliases years ago) and those without a type or with type "Send via Fastmail" are identities I have set up in the past.
So my guess is that the addresses you have of "alias" type are aliases you setup in the past in your own domain (or domains) and the ones with no type must have been setup as identities and there has to be a catch-all alias in the same domain so that email to these addresses are received.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote