View Single Post
Old 2 Jan 2017, 07:44 PM   #1
PON
Essential Contributor

New Year Tip: CardBook extension for Thunderbird

LIke at least a few people I
  • don't use Facebook
  • deleted WhatsApp the day Facebook bought it
  • do use Privacy Badger and other browser plugins and other means (VPN etc.) to limit the extent to which I'm subjected to increasingly pervasive consumer surveillance

(that's in addition to using two-factor authentication, Lastpass and other good tools).

I have long been aware of the inconsistency in using an Android phone to sync contacts and have intended to drop that in favour of running my own operation. To that end I installed Baikal on my Synology NAS (much better than their default app) and used SoGo Connector to integrate it with Thunderbird.

This was a bit painful. SoGo won't sync addressbooks with the same server address. Thus one Fastmail addressbook per user is not a problem, but his, hers and family addressbooks is a problem and requires workarounds. On top of which I have found it a bit unreliable on Windows (less so on Linux).

I upgraded to Baikal 0.4.6 over the weekend and subsequently recalled seeing a mention of CardBook on Fastmail's web site. I installed it last night and decided in minutes that it was a MUST HAVE. I haven't finished migrating to it but I shall, ASAP. It's still a work in progress but it will be a relief to ditch SoGo Connector.

This is my NEW YEAR TIP. I hope someone finds it useful.

Happy New Year!
PON is offline   Reply With Quote