View Single Post
Old 27 Jan 2021, 11:28 PM   #4
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetrinque View Post

Which providers would you suggest which would be a paid subscription?
This is definitely a great place to get suggestions. Before I discovered this gem of a forum about 10 years ago, I had similar kinds of questions, and the people here gave me a lot of food for thought and helped me eventually figure out what I really needed. And my needs also changed over the years as I learned more and my personal/work life rolled on.

What I understood right away is that there is no blanket set of suggestions of providers. Like with everything else in life, what works for me may not be the best solution for you.

So in order to give any of my own personal suggestions, I'd want to understand more of what you are trying to do with email. I suggest that anyone who is looking for a new email provider ask themselves these kinds of questions:

1) What features and level of service do I absolutely need?

2) What features would be nice, but not absolutely necessary?

3) What level of privacy policy do I want? And how does that affect #1 and #2?

4) Have I done a basic assessment about the security and encryption features that would be appropriate for my situation or preferences? What are the related issues that matter to me? And again, how does that affect #1 and #2?

5) How much money am I willing to spend?

For items #3 and #4, it may take some good reading and contemplation before you are ready to answer them. I suggest taking a little time and doing your homework so you can make more informed decisions and don't have to switch services all over again.

Once you can confidently answer those questions above, the people here in this forum can probably give you some really great and specific recommendations. There is an email provider for literally every kind of situation, some better or worse for a given set of requirements.

And keep in mind it may also be worth your time to do some testing on your own too. One person's favorite feature is another person's big headache. What looks good on paper may be annoying in day-to-day use. So in addition to having a clear understanding of what you need/want, I suggest you also spend time and consider testing some of your top contenders yourself to see if you even like their services on a day-to-day basis.

Hope that helps a little. At least that would have helped me when I was asking about various email services years ago, instead of getting a whole big list of providers without fully understanding what I really needed at the time. IMO an email service is one of those kinds of providers that is worth spending some time to find the best fit for your needs. Cheers!
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote