View Single Post
Old 11 Dec 2016, 09:34 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Composing with wildcard From identity

Bruce: Edit as new can only be used when reading a message (either a received message or a sent message). When you have a draft message (in the Drafts folder), opening the message directly takes you to the Compose screen, so there is no ability (and no need) to use the Edit as new feature.

I doubt that your problem has anything to do with the message being sent as a draft from the Drafts folder rather than directly by sending directly from the Compose screen. The error message indicates that the From address is malformed or missing. You say that it's a wildcard address, but didn't specify whether you meant a wildcard identity (a FastMail user interface feature) or that the actual email address in the From field contained a wildcard * character.

When you select a wildcard identity From address (containing a * to the left of the @ symbol) in the Compose screen, the web interface creates a From field you can manually edit. The * is replaced with the default username (part left of the @ in your default email address), I believe. In any case, the system expects that you will manually edit the From address so it is proper.

My guess is that the wildcard identity you created is not of the form *@example.com (asterisk wildcard in the user portion of the address and a proper full domain name in the domain portion of the address. It's also possible that you are editing the From address on the Compose screen so that the address isn't proper. The system catches some errors but misses others. So please look at the From address immediately before sending and see if it's proper. The From address in the Compose screen should appear similar to one of the following:
  • Text Name <user@example.com>
  • user@example.com
There are limitations on the characters allowed in the email address.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote