View Single Post
Old 14 Mar 2018, 03:55 AM   #2
gecko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarkw2 View Post
1) It appears that you must have a valid e-mail address (perhaps at another provider) in order to use it in a profile as the apparent (or does it somehow become the real?) sender. What, then, do you mean in the documentation by "A profile might be more useful if you also want to keep your identity private?"
I reckon what they mean is that you can use several aliases for all sorts of purposes and that neither your alias nor your name necessarily have to reveal anything about your identity, e.g. "Nickname <nickname@r.example>" could be one of your alias/profile combinations.
You don't have to use other provider's email addresses for profiles (but you can, if you wish). Mails are sent from this address and can be received at this address.

Quote:
2) I think I understand that you would normally use a profile (for sending) together with an alias (for receiving). That way you would specify the alias as the reply-to address in the profile, potentially keeping the whole transaction "anonymous" (in whatever sense is meant above). Right?
No, see above. An alias can be used to create a profile. All settings (alias, name, default bcc, etc.) constitute a profile.

Quote:
3) Related, but indirectly: Did I read something about my sending IP address being hidden in the header of an outgoing email through Runbox? If so, is this something I have to activate, or is it automatic? Also, exactly what IP address is hidden? Not that of your server, I presume, but perhaps that of my computer that is using SMTP to send over your server? Would that work also with Webmail, or is your server the only IP involved in that case? (I have knowledge gaps about the mechanism of email.)
AFAIK you computer's IP does not appear in a sent email's header if and only if it is sent via webmail. If you send your mails via an email client, your computer's IP will be visible.

I hope I did not misstate anything. If so, David (dbowdley) or Kim, please correct me.

Regards,
gecko

Last edited by gecko : 14 Mar 2018 at 05:47 AM.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote