View Single Post
Old 13 Mar 2018, 09:46 PM   #1
jclarkw2

Profiles and Aliases re. Privacy

The discussion at "http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=71495&highlight=alias+profile" was quite helpful, but I don't have my own domain -- just a main and two sub-accounts (eventually) -- and I still have other uncertainties.

1) It appears that you must have a valid e-mail address (perhaps at another provider) in order to use it in a profile as the apparent (or does it somehow become the real?) sender. What, then, do you mean in the documentation by "A profile might be more useful if you also want to keep your identity private?"

2) I think I understand that you would normally use a profile (for sending) together with an alias (for receiving). That way you would specify the alias as the reply-to address in the profile, potentially keeping the whole transaction "anonymous" (in whatever sense is meant above). Right?

3) Related, but indirectly: Did I read something about my sending IP address being hidden in the header of an outgoing email through Runbox? If so, is this something I have to activate, or is it automatic? Also, exactly what IP address is hidden? Not that of your server, I presume, but perhaps that of my computer that is using SMTP to send over your server? Would that work also with Webmail, or is your server the only IP involved in that case? (I have knowledge gaps about the mechanism of email.)

Thanks! -- jclarkw
jclarkw2 is offline   Reply With Quote