View Single Post
Old 21 Jul 2019, 03:17 AM   #7
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabarberski View Post
I think my above statement wasn't accurately reflecting what I meant.
I had not expected that there was going to be a setting to decide on the navigation direction after deleting an email. I would have expected it to "just work" (i.e. navigating into the direction I was going through my emails), thereby also avoiding the need to have a setting.
So, when I wrote the above statement, what I meant was that I don't think many people will go into the settings menu searching for something to fix this specific navigation "issue".
In fairness, when you select a message in the middle of the message list and subsequently delete it, it may be obvious to you which direction you are using to go through the messages, but the website cannot read your mind. You could argue that the code could detect when it had previously made the wrong assumption (perhaps, by keeping statistics on frequency of forward and backward navigation through message lists) but this kind of approach becomes pretty complicated.

A possible idea could be to go forward if the next message is unread, backwards if the previous message is unread, and navigate to the nearest unread message if neither next or previous is unread. Again, complicated/
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote